Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjcmommie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Husband wants to adopt daughter but.
    All right here goes...

My husband of 4 years is wanting to adopt my 8 year old daughter. She herself has been asking when she can have her "daddy's" last name. Her Biological father is listed on her birth certificate though we were never married. We did get a court ordered Child support paper drawn up in August of 2001, in July of 03 I had to contact a private agency in Tx called Support Kids and they got almost a year of child support from him. The last payment was made in May of 04 and that is also the last time we heard from him. I have hired a PI, Support kids tries every 10 days to contact him and I also paid for a Public Data website to try to find him. He has no paper trail... What are my options about Relinquishing his rights so my husband can adopt her? Do I HAVE to get a laywer or can I do it myself? And, what steps do I need to take if I can do it myself?

Tired in Central TX
    SingleMom7105 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 10, 2007, 07:50 PM
    I don't know for sure but I think you do need to contact a lawyer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 09:48 PM
    You will be able to try, what happens, the local court there will have a requirement for attempts to find, to be served court papers, if after a certain amount of attempts, they can normally post a notice in the legal section of the news paper.

So normally it can be done, but you will ( or should) have an attorney to be sure all things are done correctly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband wants to adopt my daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the easies way for my husband to adopt my daughter? Her dad has nothing to do with her, he will sign over his rights cause he already said he would. So what is the cheapest and easiest way to do this. Thank you.

Ex-husband!Can he adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I had my daughter in 1997 and became involved with my high school sweatheart again after having her which we started talking again when she was a couple months old. We then moved in together and got married in 2000 we got divorced in 2001 he is still a part of my daughters life and she believes he...

Husband adopt my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married and I have a two year old daurhter that's albino by a nothere man and my husband would love to asopd her. We have a nothere girl that's his and we want both of them to have to same last name. But the bad thing is I can't find my older darhters real dad but he's not on her papers...

How can my husband adopt my daughter? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband would like to adopt my daughter.She just turned 2 this Nov. but my husband was there for me through my pregnancy and her birth.He has raised her ever since.There is no father listed on the birth certificate but I think I know who the real father is.He is convicted of sexual assault of a...

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

View more questions Search