Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lette4life Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
    After Being Caught Shoplifting
    Im 17 yrs old, and my sister is 12. We live in Queen Anne's County, which is located in Maryland. We were caught shoplifting in our local Kmart, and they had said that they saw me blocking my younger sister while she unwrapped everything and put it into her purse, it was true, and we admitted to it because we had seen the cop that accused us walk past a couple of times during, it just didn't hit us until later on. Well, that was all fine and dandy, but a couple days later we received a letter in the mail saying that Kmart is asking for actual damages ($76.57) plus the civil penalty ($153.14) stating that "a civil penalty equal to twice the stated sales price for the merchandise but not less than $50 nor more than $1000," all leading up to them charging both my sister and myself 3 times the amount we were accused of. Which equaled to $229.71 for me, and $229.71 for my younger sister. My question is, is that allowed? Can they charge both of us 3 times the amount?
    Salim1010 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 01:11 AM
    Your lucky you wernt taken to court, lets just say that
    RTV123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2007, 12:34 AM
    You did get lucky. Things could have been worse, and I am speaking from experience. I would pay anything if the charges weren't put on my record. A similar situation happened to me 5 years ago, and I am so happy about the outcome. I had to pay a fine that was 5 times its amount , but did not get arrested, did not have to appear in front of a judge and was not fingerprinted. But it's been on my shoulders for all that time. I don't know how to answer your question, you can fight it or whatever, but most importantly, learn from your mistake and be a good role model to your sister. Talk to her about how wrong it is to steal. If you love her you wouldn't let her get into that stuff.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Yes they can charge you three times the amount. I would pay it and count my blessings that I was not sent to juvenile court. If you fight it, what are you going to gain? Cannot see any gain there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2007, 07:34 AM
    While I agree that paying a fine is preferably to having criminal charges pressed, I don't know for a fact that what they are doing is legal.

Did the letter cite any laws that stated they could charge you that amount. If not, then you should ask them to cite what law justifies them charging you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2nd time getting caught [ 4 Answers ]

This is second time getting caught for theft under $5000 and possession under $5000 and I'm now 20. The things I got was worth almost 600$ in total. . now I don't know if I'm going to get time or not.. I don't know anyone that has experience getting caught twice?? So they can not tell me.. what can...

Caught up on MySpAcE! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, My boyfriend of nearly a year is still trying to communicate with an"ex" or old "friend" is what he called her. He's trying because on the site "myspace" he is requesting her as a friend and I know because I have his password.But he told me he don't have no dealings with her and that...

Caught in the middle [ 30 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a single mother of 3. She is a wonderful lady, super mom, and loving friend. However, she is extremely hung up on one of my husband's friends. My husband's friend James just got out of a rather rocky marriage, and is not really into having a relationship. However, a couple...

Caught in the middle... [ 3 Answers ]

I fell in love with my best friend of 6 years and 1 year ago we finally admitted our love for each other. He dated another girl before me and broke up with her when he realized he loved me instead. I was dating a mutual friend of ours at the time, but broke up with him around the same time. The guy...

Caught in the middle [ 1 Answers ]

About a month a go I went to a used car dealer and bought a car. In the state of New Hampshire you have to get the car inspected. I went and got it inspected and my mechanic passed it. Well just today while driving my right control wheel broke and thank god I wasn't hurt. I called aaa and had them...

View more questions Search