Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2011, 11:55 AM
    Tile on kitchen countertop with no grout?
    Hi,

I will be installing 17" x 26" porcelain tiles on top of plywood to create my kitchen countertop. The seams will run perpendicular to the counter edge.

My wife wants to have little or no spacing between them. The edges of the tiles are very smooth and straight, and mate up perfectly.

What are the pros and cons of just butting tiles against each other as I set them in thin-set? I don't think food can get between the tiles.

Thanks,

Glenn
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 3, 2011, 04:20 PM
    Hi Glenn...

Food can't get in between the tiles, but water and other liquids certainly can and you can be sure that it will eventually lead to problems down the road.

In fact, setting the tiles in thinset will, most likely, lead to some of the thinset pushing up and between the tiles so that will definitely lead to some tile separation at the seams.

I would grout the lines with a NON-STAINING EPOXY GROUT such as Laticrete's SPECTRA-LOK grout... stuff dries like steel:

Tile Grout - Bathroom Tile Grout - Glass Tile Grout - Shower Tile Grout - Pool Tile Grout

I would also recommend that you install a 1/4" cement board on the counter for best results with your job.

Pop back in peridiodically as you can be sure to get a few opinions on this subject, OK?

Glad to discuss more...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I remove old, stained grout from my kitchen floor tile? [ 6 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace or clean old, stained kitchen floor tile grout. How can I easily remove the old grout?

Can you grout tile using a special grout caulking gun? [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy a special caulking gun that uses commercial tile grout? I have some 20" X 20" interior wall tile to grout and would like to avoid making a huge mess in my kitchen. This method, if available, would seem to be a good, clean solution. Ralph

Using Silicone instead of Grout on Granite Tile Countertop [ 0 Answers ]

On the diy network yesterday, someone mentioned using silicone applied to the edge of granite tile and pushing the tiles together as close as possible instead of grouting. Has anyone used this method? What are the pros and cons?

Removing grout from tile to reuse tile [ 5 Answers ]

We had our kitchen remodeled last year and removed/saved the old tile. We are now doing a bathroom and want to reuse the tile. How do I remove old grout from the back of tile so I can reuse the tile?

View more questions Search