Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karolina Posts: 37, Reputation: 6

Feb 7, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Mortified from comment
    This is not really a question but a vent in the need of support!

I was at the gym this morning working out as usual and have had a problem with an impatient gym member. She always wants the equipment now! Anyway, today was the same thing... BUT, she walks away from me and says... " look at those legs and fat *** ". In front of all the participants!

I used to weigh 265lbs, now weighing about 170. I'm used to comments about my weight but this was just really hurtful. I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening. She definitely won't make me stop going there. The worst part is she is about 40 years older than me and over weight herself.

I made a formal complaint, I'm sure not much will happen though.

:(
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Feb 7, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Good for you!! You should be very proud of yourself for taking the initiative to make a change, and it sounds like you are! People like her just have a low self esteem is all that is!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 7, 2007, 10:32 AM
    You can always do what I do in response to crapola like that. I immediately stick my fingers in my ears and in a too loud voice sing offkey, "la la la la la, I can't heaaaar you!" She who gets the last laugh, lasts... in my book and that one almost never fails. LOL

Or if that's not suitable, say to them directly, "Well, I am VERY sorry but you are just going to have to try a whole lot harder than that to make me feel bad, lady!" Truth can be incredibly disarming-- especially when you say it aloud to yourself whilst grinning like an idiot! LOL

I like to think I am good at what I call "instant emotional aikido", and because I used to be the kind of shy woman who could only think this stuff up the next day (arrgh) I believe anyone can be too. It starts by cultivating an attitude that if you think you're going down defeated, at least go down humorously and honorably fighting back. I learned this from an old friend's viking group who's motto was "In the face of defeat ALWAYS RESIST!" LOL I discovered it does wonders for your emotional well being.

PS- Congrats on your progress -- very impressive!
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Sounds like a grumpy, not happy individual. I am sure that most of the people in your gym were as equally discusted with her remark as you. You sound like your doing just great though that is a big weight loss that you've accomplished! Give yourself a big pat on the shoulder, well done!! It amazes me how ugly some people are but I've found it's because of their own personal insecurities. Don't worry about her,: just keep doing what your doing and smile at her,:D (it'll make her crazy!) I work with a lot of people with problems similar to yours unfortunately it happens, Just keep up the GREAT WORK!:cool:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Congratulations on the weight loss! That was no easy work and you have every right to feel proud about your accomplishments. For that woman to be so rude and to make such a crass remark says a literal ton about her character. I can only imagine that others just suffer her presence and go along without wanting to make waves. We are sometimes just too damn polite to people to insuilt us and others.

Glad you made a formal complaint. If the gym does not do anything, shame on them. They are wishy washy. If she continues, file another complaint. But do not allow her to discourage you. I like what you said - she is not going to stop you from your goal. Way to go!
    Karolina Posts: 37, Reputation: 6

Feb 11, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much better about myself and still have 30lbs till I reach my goal! I know I will :)

Thank you again.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Karolina
    Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much better about myself and still have 30lbs till I reach my goal! I know I will :)

Thank you again.
    With that attitude you'll have no problem, watch out grumpy ole lady!! You always have back up here!! :D
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
    If you need any help with low fat recipe ideas, I have hundreds , just drop me a line, it's what I do!:cool:
    shizukamelodi Posts: 76, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Great wieght loss. Don't give a about hat old hag who said that just prove her wrong!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Ok, guess I would have taken the low road and told her fat can go away, stupdity and low character can't be helped.

Next I would have filed a formal written complaint with the owner and manager of the place.

But hey that is just me,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joke I liked. What is your comment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. this is a joke I chanced by on net. I really enjoyed the joke. How do you rate it? A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a woman below. He descended a bit more and shouted, “Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour...

View more questions Search