Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LarryLaGrotta Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2011, 09:43 AM
    Can a non-attorney send a Request to Produce documents to an attorney?
    I attended a PRE-TRAIL CONFERENCE in Small Claims Court on a landlord-tenant issue. The defendant did not show, but was represented by an attorney. The attorney asked the judge for time to do discovery and request documents from me. I agreed to the discovery and the judge scheduled another PRE-TRAIL CONFERNECE for 90 days out. I then received a letter from the defendant's attorney asking that I produce items I intend to use at trail. The judge said that the attorney would also have to provide me the same discovery. How do I make the request to produce to the attorney? Is there a format I can use to request the items without having an attorney? If so, am I required to file this document at the courthouse after sending to the attorney?

Nov 3, 2011, 10:12 AM
    Thanks for the quick response. I was not clear. The tenant is not in the property. I filed in Small Claims Court for past rent, re-ental fees for early lease termination, and cleaning. They filed a counter-suit requesting their security deposit be returned because in the attorney's words, "The Plantiff did not notify the tenant where the security deposit was being held and failed to comply with other requirements of Florida Statue 83.49." Location of the security deposit was clearly included in the lease agreement. The tenant had already agreed to release the security deposit (via e-mail) to me for terminating her lease. She then vacated/abandoned the property without giving me proper notice which negated the requirement that I send her the secuirty deposit notice outlined in Florida Statue 83.49. I am a homeowner who manages two of my personal properties. I just want to know if I should request documents from the other side since they requested documents from me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2011, 10:28 AM
    I am sorry, Larry, who answered you ? I see no other answer in this thread ? Did someone send you a PM or email ?

Chuck, supermoderator

Nov 3, 2011, 10:39 AM
    Yes, I did get a response... pasted below:

You're fighting in a venue at a disadvantage. Your competitor knows the rules and is using him to his advantage. Delay, delay, delay... the longer the proceedings go on, the longer his client stays presumably rent-free.

You should not be handling this on your own. Consult with an attorney as soon as possible.

Stephen Orchard
    Law Offices of Stephen Orchard
    2255 Glades Road, Suite 324A
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2011, 10:55 AM
    Hello Larry:

While we ordinarily like to have the answers posted publicly, it's not a requirement.. Plus, his advice is good, and he didn't solicit for himself which would have been against the rules.. He just let you know that he's a lawyer, and I presume he's available for hire.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 3, 2011, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    ... and he didn't solicit for himself which would have been against the rules.. He just let you know that he's a lawyer, ...
    Which amounts to the same thing: solicitation.

Anyway, to the OP's question.

Yes of course, you may also request production of documents and make other discovery requests. They might include such things as:
    • interrogatories (questions to be answered under oath); and
    • deposition (out-of-court recorded questioning of witnesses, again under oath).

There is no doubt a normal format for a request for production in your jurisdiction. However it really doesn't matter. Simply make the request in writing and make it clear that the other party is requested to answer it according to the particular civil rule providing for such discovery. For details, you should look at the civil rules for the court in which this case is pending.

And no, most discovery rules provide that you don't need to file the discovery request unless the other side fails to respond. Then you would have to move that the court compel an answer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2011, 04:11 PM
    Oh, I disagree - this IS a solicitation. Shocking and shameless and you have to wonder about the Bar Association in Florida. I do note that this "Attorney" is spamming the Board. Sad when you have to go to this extent to get business.

It would appear to me that this Attorney answered off the Board (and I have no idea how he did that unless the rules changed... again) OR answered and his response was pulled.

Welcome back, by the way.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2011, 04:27 PM
    Ok, Are you sure this is Small Claims court? In what area (ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.) The reason I ask is that many small claims courts do not allow legal representation. If it is small claims court they tend to be less formal than other courts so simple request should be sufficient.

On a separate note, thank you for informing us of the private communication you received. This was definitely a violation of our rules against solicitation and offline communication. The response did not answer your question but simply suggested you consult an attorney then giving his contact info. Can you provide the screen name of this member so we can make sure he is aware of our rules?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Request emergency hearing with judge without any an attorney [ 1 Answers ]

Mother medical bills are not being paid by my sister, she is on my moter's bank account.

Creditor attorney falsfing documents [ 1 Answers ]

Chases attorney sent me a request in default judgment but it did not have to court bearing seal the osc is not scheduled till the end of July how can the osc be till the end of July and they fill out the request default in judgment from their office and mail it to me witout the filed stamp or the...

Can I request a new attorney for my child [ 4 Answers ]

My sister has gardiansip of my daughter. The child's lawyer has beed rude and does not want to work with us. He has told my sister that he does not want us to have her back. Is there any way we can request an new lawyer for the child. Thanks Barb

View more questions Search