Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Nov 3, 2011, 05:02 AM
    Increase the performance of a 1996 nissan sentra
    I've posted on here before about this nissan. What I have is a 1996 nissan sentra. I am looking to get some more performance out of it like quicker acceleration and a meaner exhaust sound. What it has in it is all stock except for the quad tipped iridium spark plugs and a newer high flow fuel pump and wires and a water pump that pumps a little bit more water than the stock one. When I'm driving it it seems like I get the most power from it when I'm running it at about 45-55 mph and at about 2500 rpms. I was wondering what can I do to increase power, performance, acceleration? It's already beaten some civic's and a few mustang's please no stupid comments. Any input would be appreciated
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2011, 05:26 AM
    . Full synthetic engine oil and transmission fluid will likely add 5 to 7% more horsepower.

. Cold air induction system.

. Port and polish the exhausts.

. Performance camshaft.

Nov 3, 2011, 05:59 AM
    I'm using the penzoil high mileage synthetic oil. What exactly do you mean by porting the exhaust? How exactly does a cold air intake work?
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2011, 06:21 AM
    Be sure to also use synthetic transmission fluid. Gears mean high friction, which synthetics will reduce. Biggest improvement is in transmissions and differentials.

Porting involves enlarging and smoothing the exhaust manifold ports with a Dremel Moto Tool or flexible shaft. It reduces back pressure.

Cold air is more dense, thus containing more oxygen per unit volume than warmer air. This is somewhat controversial. K&N and others make these cold air induction systems.

Nov 3, 2011, 07:13 AM
    Just port the exhaust manifold right? I don't think that it has a differential of the front wheel drive. Will porting the manifold enhance the exhaust sound any?
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:25 AM
    Correct, your Nissan doesn't have a differential. Fill with Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle ATF, if it's an automatic. Fill with Amsoil 5W-30 Manual Transmission Fluid, if it's a manual.

Porting can dramatically increase the exhaust sound. Read up on what's involved. An old friend of mine was an expert on porting and all things racing. These techniques helped him to make millions in racing--everything from motorcross to Formula 1. He was an original until he died 10 years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1997 Nissan Sentra Tail lights [ 1 Answers ]

My brake lights are working on my car, however the dashboard lights and the tail lights are not. I have changed the bulbs in the tail lights and had the fuses checked which are all good. What else could it be?

View more questions Search