Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Are the occupiers the 1 percent?
    The Daily Caller has obtained information from arrest records of many of the occupiers and it seems as if a lot of these folks really are the spoiled, privileged one percenters themselves.

NYC arrest records: Many Occupy Wall Street protesters live in luxury

There's a pretty nice pad here in Texas that one came from:

By the way, I've never worn a $300 pair of jeans. Maybe that's partly why I still have money to buy food.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2011, 12:18 PM
    But smoothy says they are dirty hippies! It's all so confusing the messages you give us.

More confusing is this:
    For each of the 984 Occupy Wall Street protesters arrested in New York City between September 18 and October 15, police collected and filed an information sheet recording the arrestee’s name, age, sex, criminal charge, home address and — in most cases — race. The Daily Caller has obtained all of this information from a source in the New York City government.
    What the hell happened there? The police freely give out that info? Can we get a link to those information sheets too?
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2011, 02:57 PM
    Police records are not such a private thing you know.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2011, 03:12 PM
    Wow, that's nasty. Ok, post the ones from the people in question. I've been conditioned here to not trust the media so it's best to do our due diligence.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2011, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Are the occupiers the 1 percent?
    Hello Steve:

So what if they are? You're fond of saying people like Al Gore can't complain about the environment unless he sheds himself of ALL vestiges of modern living... I guess you're saying the same thing about this wealthy demonstrator...

Well, you're WRONG about Gore, and you're WRONG about the rich kid. In this great country of ours, you don't have to show membership in any group in order to take to the streets. All you have to do is be PISSED and these people are.

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 06:10 PM
    Forget the hippies in New York, what about the peope in Oakland? I would say they were the 99%!

Occupy Oakland Hosts General Strike - Local News - San Francisco Bay Area, CA - San Francisco, CA - msnbc.com
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2011, 07:44 PM
    Pissed, ex, that has different connotations depending upon where you live.

If I understand you, they are angry and shiftless enough so they don't have to work. On the other hand the term, where I come from means legless, falling down, drunk. From descriptions I've heard both might be right
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 08:20 PM
    I don't think you can say all those people in all those cities are shiftless, pissed, as in angry, YES.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2011, 08:25 PM
    Well Tal they don't seem to have anything better to do. We have them here too, this nonsense is not isolated to the US of A, but if you scratch them you might find a professional agitator under the vaneer

By the way, do I read between the lines that you might be in favour of these actions?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Forget the hippies in New York, what about the peope in Oakland? I would say they were the 99%!

Occupy Oakland Hosts General Strike - Local News - San Francisco Bay Area, CA - San Francisco, CA - msnbc.com
    Especially the ones that smashed windows like as if it was Kristallnacht
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2011, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    especially the ones that smashed windows like as if it was Kristallnacht
    Hello tom:

Or, like the ones who broke windows and ENDED the war in Vietnam.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 06:54 AM
    That's an interesting point . Such movements as OWS does breed movements like Bill Ayers Weather Underground. He's proud of his bombs.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Steve:
    Hello ex, what are you doing here?

So what if they are?
    You're very vocal about not liking Rush Limbaugh because he's a hypocrite. Yeah well, I keep getting told that the occupiers are just poor down on their luck people that can't catch a break. Nah, they're hypocrites.

Well, you're WRONG about Gore, and you're WRONG about the rich kid. In this great country of ours, you don't have to show membership in any group in order to take to the streets. All you have to do is be PISSED and these people are.
    Yep, never once said they don't have the right so I'm not wrong (about Gore either, another HYPOCRITE), but I feel no pain for college grads wearing $300 jeans, carrying their iPhones and Macs protesting how mistreated they are. Especially those who live in houses 5 times the size of mine.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post

Yeah I know, the ones who want to "blockade everything".
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:06 AM
    There were merchants that put signs in their windows showing support for the rabble. Why ? Not because they agree . They just didn't want their shops to suffer the same fate as the Whole Foods grocery store.
    What Have Protesters Done to Oakland's Beloved Whole Foods?
    Hmm doing violence to a civilian population to achieve a political goal... the very definition of terrorism.
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    If I understand you, they are angry and shiftless enough so they don't have to work
    Hello clete:

No, you DON'T understand me. You're not even listening to me. You're listening to people who don't LIKE the protesters, so you call them names. Kind of like Qadaffy called HIS demonstrators Al Quaida... He's TOAST, by the way.

I'm one of the protesters. I work. How do you explain ME?
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Hello ex, what are you doing here?
    Hello Steve:

They decapitalized my e.
    like Bill Ayers Weather Underground. He's proud of his bombs.
    Hello tom:

Yeah, like you're proud of your cops.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:18 AM
    Hmm doing violence to a civilian population to achieve a political goal .... the very definition of terrorism.
    I know, just like all the tea party supporters:
    Tea Party Getting Violent? 10 House Dems Report Threats, Vandalism - Crimesider - CBS News
    Or tea baggers bringing weapons to protests.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:23 AM
    Yup I condemn those acts too.
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:24 AM
    We condemn violence for the other protests as well.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:33 AM
    I don't see a good outcome to this . I see more of what we saw in London and Rome and Athens . I see Seattle 1999 . Not a fringe group of bad apples ,but a whole movement being coopted by anarchists .
    Already there are sections of Zucotti park taken over by such groups .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Percent return on assets and a 75 percent retention ratio. What is the internal growt [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have some bus finance questions which I am having some trouble with. I would appreciate anyhelp. Thank you.

11 is what percent of 29? [ 9 Answers ]

What percent of 29 is 11?

Percent changes [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me out with this? On December 31, 1995, there were an estimated 411 prison inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents. This number rose to an estimated 476 inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents by December 31, 2002. a.What percentage of the U.S. population were prison inmates at the...

Percy Motors has a target capital structure of 40 percent debt and 60 percent common [ 2 Answers ]

Percy Motors has a target capital structure of 40 percent debt and 60 percent common equity, with no preferred stock. The yield to maturity on the company's outstanding bonds is 9 percent, and its tax rate is 40 percent. Percy's CFO estimates that the company's WACC is 9.96 percent. What is Percy's...

Percent proportion [ 2 Answers ]

OK I don't get this one question on my homework and I do not understand it can you help me with this please The question is:90 is 60% of what number

View more questions Search