Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emircan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 08:22 AM
    H1, married, wife abroad; now both in the US w/green card
    Hi,
    I had H1 and got married in July 2005. My wife remained abroad. I filed my taxes as "single" in 2005.
    I and my wife entered US in Jan 19,2007 with green card. (we were approved for permanent status on 1/9/07) . Can I file my taxes for 2006 as married-joint, even though I had H-1 and my wife was abroad during entire 2006? She'll receive her SSN soon.

Thank you.
    Emir can
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 12:48 AM
    Emir:

Yes, you can file jointly. You wife will file as a non-resident spouse to a resident alien (you). Her physical location in 2006 is irrelevant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to give up Green Card [ 2 Answers ]

I am a green card holder and I read that to leave US and give up my green card I have to fill and submit Form I-407. I logged on uscis.gov website and there is no form I-407. What is the form to file? Thanks for info. Paul

Filing Form W7 for my wife abroad [ 2 Answers ]

I'm helping my wife, who lives abroad, fill out form W7 so that I can file my taxes as a "married/ filing joint". Now in section number 2 in the application "Mailing Address", can I put a P.O. Box or my address here in the U.S? In the country she resides in, they don't really have home...

US Citizen filing taxes and my wife lives abroad [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. citizen and my wife resides in Saudi Arabia. I'm in the process of bringing her here. I'm filing my taxes right now and I want to file as "married/filing joint". Since she doesn't have an SSN, is the ITIN the only thing I need to apply for? Also, where can she notarize the copy...

Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I have applied for my renewal green card 10 years exp 11/13/06. I have not rec'd it yet but will travel outside country and return 11/10/06 3 days before exp date. My passport up to date. Is this OK?

Change from F1 to Green CArd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, During 2004 I have changed my status from F1 to resident , because I had won the Visa Lotery. Since I cannot use the standard deduction, I was wondering If I can deduct the expenses I made to get the Gc? (the interview was abroad, so I had to fly , plus the fee itself. ) Can somebody help...

View more questions Search