Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randomgirl22 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 08:07 PM
    Why do people have ADD (attention deficit disorders) or ADHD or any other disorder?
    I know a girl who is in a few of my classes. She has ADHD really bad. I was wondering why people end up having ADD or ADHD.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2011, 08:44 PM
    For many children it is simply a misdiagnosis for a more animated child, or a child not getting enough activity in his daily life.

However, for the ones who do truly have ADHD (I have delt with it all my life, and it has even followed me into adult hood) it is a misfire in the brain, where the brain controls impulse control, speech, and energy.

No one knows why or how it happens. When I was younger (in the 80s) there was a study trying to show that Demerol was causing this and other issues. But I do not recall if it actually got anywhere. (for my family at least it seemed to be true, as I was diagnosed with ADHD at 5 and my mom had Demerol during labor, where as my brother and sister both were NOT diagnosd with that type of disorder and mom did NOT have demerol when in labor with them)

If you could let me know what the reason for your asking is, I may be able to answer you more fully?

Oct 30, 2011, 08:47 PM
    Well I have ADD and I just would like to know what causes it.
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2011, 08:59 PM
    I am not positive if anyone knows the true, 100% factual reason for it. There are theories, there are studies. But no 100% facts. Unless someone else knows of some in which case I would hope they post here for you.

For you, I would look at your local library and see about checking out a book called "putting on the brakes' it is a book that explains in depth and detail in young language what ADD/ADHD is and how you can help yourself :)

Good luck :) And don't think of it as a disorder or disability. I actually LIKE having the ADHD now as an adult! It definitely has its perks!

Oct 30, 2011, 09:09 PM
    You sound like a nice person. I am still only in middle school and I really hope that my ADD will be basically gone when I am an adult because even with my medications, I an very distracted and figity. And thank you so much for your answer and luck. Hahaha :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2011, 09:11 PM
    I agree. I did not like the medication but I always took it. Have you talked to your psychiatrist about your meds? Perhaps they need ajusted? Are you on ritalin ( Methylphenidate) it was around middle school that I had to be taken off that and try something new because my body grew resistant to it?

Talk to your parents and your doctor about how the meds aren't helping and how they are making you feel. See if something can be done about it.

And don't worry. I'm not the norm :P most people Don't take it with them into adulthood :P

Oct 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
    I got them doubled earlier this year but luckily I have and appointment coming up I'll have some and ew questions to ask her. I forgot what type I am taking. And yes I will talk to them. Hahaha :)
    stickerz2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 11:37 PM
    You might try switching to Focalin; in a lot of teenagers, it works better with fewer side effects. I think you'll feel a lot better about ADHD when you graduate. You won't have to sit still for several hours a day then, and you'll be able to choose how you spend a lot of your time. Many people with ADHD can focus well if they're doing something they're interested in. The world would be a boring place without people who have ADHD, so I'm sorry it's making things hard for you right now but it will definitely get easier.

Oct 31, 2011, 03:29 PM
    Thank you :)
    Nique.H Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Doctors don't know what causes ADHD but it is common in children who's mother smoked or drank alcohol during pregnancy or had a difficult pregnancy. It is also genetic. My mom has ADD, but, thankfully, I didn't get it. Babies with low birth weight or children who experienced a head injury have a higher risk of ADHD.

If you want more info you can go to this website:
    http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-causes

Hope this helps :D
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2011, 03:21 PM
    That is incorrect Nique. Yes while ADHD is genetic, and you are much more likely to develop it if your parents have it or other close family members, Smoking or drinking do not play a part in it.

Though there have been some studies on the use of Demerol during labor. However it was inconclusive and there is no proof of connection.
    Nique.H Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 05:12 PM
    (jenniepepsi) Just so you know, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but how do you know this?
    Two websites I've found says that ADHD can be caused when the mother smokes or drinks alcohol. Smoking and drinking alcohol when you're pregnant effects the baby's brain, and ADHD is a condition of the brain. It's perfectly logical.

"For some individuals, ADHD is the result of early head trauma and brain injury or other impediment to normal brain development such as prenatal exposure to cigarette smoke, alcohol or harmful drugs, premature delivery, birth complications, or exposure to toxic levels of lead. Children with epilepsy are also at a higher risk for symptoms of ADHD" (http://add.about.com/od/adhdthebasics/a/causes.htm).

Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2011, 06:23 PM
    Well I suppose I can't say it is ABSOLUTELY untrue. Poor choice of words
    But my point is there is no conclusive scientific evidence for any of the possible causes. They are all just possible at this point. In theory you know? They haven't found any conclusive evidence for any causes

I don't think you came off rude :) its very hard to offend me :P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have an attention deficit disorder? [ 8 Answers ]

Ever since I was young, I couldn't focus very well. Lately, it's become even worse. I get in trouble in my classes and I zone out frequently. I want to listen but I just can't. Its very irritating. I don't know what to do, should I go get tested for it?

Attention deficit disorder Meds [ 6 Answers ]

Ok I take folcalin (updated version of Concerta) and when ever I take it I have really high Anxiety after it for about an hour why is that

Attention Deficit Disorder in children [ 1 Answers ]

Have you used Synaptol in the treatment of ADD or ADHD.:rolleyes:

View more questions Search