Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soprano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 04:27 PM
    Bathroom venting through an outside wall.
    I have a 2 story house and I wanted to add a toilet and sink to the main floor. There is currently no venting to this location, and I wanted to know if it's possible to add a vent directly through the outside wall. There are no other windows or doors on this end of the house.Is it possible to do this without adding a vertical vent all the way up the side of the house and through the roof? I didn't want to have to have to run a vent up through both floors on the inside of the house.
    Thanks
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Oct 30, 2011, 05:17 PM
    In recent years Ohio has made this legal as long as you go out the wall as high as possible and there are no windows, doors,bathroom fans or dryer vents above it.You may run it straight out the wall or run it veritcal once you are outside and up the side of the house. I would check the codes where you are located, many states may not allow this.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2011, 06:16 PM
    Europe has used this type of venting because so many of the homes are stone or solid masonry. However, every one I have seen has been vented through the eave and about 1 ft above the roof surface. Not pretty but commonly seen. PVC piping is light and easy to run.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 30, 2011, 06:35 PM
    Agree with all answers, you can usually go through the wall but you must terminate above the roof line. State and local codes will make this call so check with your building dept.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 31, 2011, 07:25 AM
    My code (Standard Plumbing Code) allows terminating a vent on a outside wall with these restrictions. You may not terminate a vent within 10 feet horizontally and 2 feet above of any opening such as a door, window or AC inlet. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 31, 2011, 09:33 AM
    If your local Code allows, use Air Admittance Vent (AAV) vent and you don't have to go through any exterior wall at all. It is clean, easy, and inexpensive substitution to a vent that terminates above the roof. Hope that helps. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What causes mold on wall in bathroom behind tolet and straight up the wall? [ 1 Answers ]

There is mold on the wall where the toilet is located and in patches straight up the wall

Bathroom Venting [ 5 Answers ]

A few months ago I purchased an old (45 years) home. The main bathroom was not vented. We did a few minor improvements (carpet, painting, kitchen flooring, etc) and had a handyman in to help out. I asked him to install a vent in the bathroom which he did. I just noticed this week that he...

Venting Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I want to install a bathroom in the Attic. Can I stack vent this bathroom too? Thanks.

Venting into an inside wall [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a YURT. We are building rooms inside. We do NOT want to put any holes in the walls or roof for the bathroom vent, but DO want an inside bathroom. Would it work if we vented between the walls? Where we live, a composting toilet is not an option. Thank you for any advice on how...

Venting a new Bathroom [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a full bathroom in my basement. The basement is not roughed in so I have to break up the floor slab first. My question is about drain/venting. I have attached my floor plan, I need to know where I should place my vent? Or vents? Can I place a single vent in...

View more questions Search