Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blueflamej8 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 06:48 PM
    CPU usage at 100%
    after I reformatted, I noticed installations took 2x as long, games are shaky and videos stutter, and then I realized why this is happening because cpu usage is being used by these programs like crazy, installations usually were at 100%. This never happened before! My pf usage is very low too so some programs went smooth on my desktop.. can anyone tell me what's making cpu usage spike so high?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 7, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Check which service is taking 100% CPU time, by looking at the "Processes" tab, when you bring up the Windows Task Manager (use Ctrl-Alt-Delete).

Remember the name of the process, and then END it.

Use the search function under Start-search and search for the name of the process that is taking 100% CPU time to determine what program is causing it.

What did you find?

Feb 7, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Noo whenever I watch videos, play itunes or games, I noticed that they all use up to 100% or try to. If I end them then I can't do anything on my computer then... graphics stutter a lot and this never happened before. Also I just reformatted and its weird it just started happening

Feb 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
    You did update to the latest drivers right? Including chipset drivers? Uninstall all the old drivers first.

Go to the device manager tab, by Start/Run/ and typing compmgmt.msc.

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, double-click the Primary IDE channel, advance settings tab and see what the transfer mode is. It should be at least ultra DMA. If it is PIO then that's is the slowest mode, and can causes the symptoms you've mentioned.

Try disabling hardware acceleration in the sound drivers first, and see if you still have the same problems. Next disable hardware acceleration in the video drivers.

In the control panel, select sound and audio devices -- audio -- advanced -- performance, to disable sound card hardware acceleration.

To disable video card acceleration, right-click on desktop - choose properties, then troubleshoot.

If any one of these fixes the problem, I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem.

An example is when Installing new drivers that overwrite older drivers and not letting them to be overwritten will result in a mix of old and new which can cause all kinds of grief.

In some cases, you will need to manually update the drivers, instead of using the automatic feature.

Let us know, how it goes...

Feb 7, 2007, 12:48 PM
    It was on that mode, and just now my comp is working fine again xD, thanks a bunch.. oh yea, does pio mode on secondary ide channel affect anything? Right now its on that and yea all my drivers are updated but I saw directplay8 errors in dx diag O_o how do u fix it

Feb 7, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Is your CD-ROM connected to the secondary ide channel? If it is you probably have an older ROM drive connected. Usually the newer ones, i.e. DVD burners will have at least Ultra DMA 2.

If you do have a new ROM drive, try changing the setting to DMA.

Feb 7, 2007, 09:14 PM
    So that's what it is.. OK thanks man!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPU usage at 100% [ 20 Answers ]

My computer recently started to be very slow. I have a 800 mghz pentium. I'm running XP. I did a complete virus scan with Norton and found nothing. When I look at the processes, I can see the CPU is running at 100% most of the time. There's no specific file that is using all the power. Why is...

CPU Usage Remains at 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, I discovered the CPU usage on one of my PCs will not fall below 100%. I've attempted everything I can think of to resolve the issue, including: - Running Ad-Aware SE - Performing an online scan from Trend Micro - Performing an online scan from Panda Software - Running Registry...

CPU Usage @ 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Every time I log onto the Internet, my CPU usage goes from like 2% to 100%. Once the page loads, it dies back down, but then when I click a link and try to load another page it goes back to 100%. Plus, the Comcast logo spins, then stalls, then spins, then stalls until the page loads. It never...

Msmsgs at 100% CPU Usage [ 3 Answers ]

Running Windows XP Home and keep hitting a problem. PC (Athlon XP 3.2Ghz) suddenly slows down to doing not a lot, when pressing the CTRL ALT DEL to bring up the task manager msmsgs.exe is at 100% CPU usage. I can close this process down and the PC is fine again for a few moments. Shortly...

View more questions Search