Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PrinceofPersia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 06:29 PM
    Tax help on wire transfer?
    I am a US citizen living in Japan. Currently, due to the differential in currency strength between yen and dollars it would be advantageous to transfer money from my Japanese bank account to my US bank account. The amount in question is a bit less than $100,000 in US dollars. I do file federal taxes as a resident of California.

My question is concerning the tax liability. How much is taxable? Are there any tax shelters?

Thank you very much.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
    If you transfer money from your own account in Japan to your own account in U.S. there is no tax implication except you may have to report your gain due to this transaction.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 1, 2011, 08:32 AM
    I am curious as to WHY you file California tax returns if you work and live in Japan? Most states (California among them) typically will not have legal standing to tax anyone who neither works nor lives in the state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on Wire Transfer from Overseas [ 8 Answers ]

I am a US citizen living abroad. I keep a US checking account in the state of Idaho. Would a wire transfer from a foreign insurance company to this account be subject to tax or other scrutiny? The amount would be $100,000 or more.

International wire transfer and tax [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta tax expert, I am working in US on H1B visa. I am a resident for tax purposes. My question is how many dollars per year can I transfer as a gift to my dad living in India? Please advise. Thanks.

International wire transfer and tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a H-1B VISA holder so not a US citizen. My parents (are not US citizen) want to international wire transfer money from foreign contry about $50K. We are thinking about two ways. I googled and some people says I need to pay tax or someone says no. 1-from my parents's foreign account to my US...

Tax on Wire Transfer from Overseas to US [ 6 Answers ]

I am permanent resident in the US (green card holder) but not a US citizen. My father, who is not a US permanent resident/citizen and lives overseas, would like to gift me money by sending it as a wire transfer from his account overseas to mine in the US. Assuming the amount is under $100K, what...

View more questions Search