Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julee1947 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 06:08 PM
    3 way lamp socket
    I have just replaced an old 3 way (knob style) lamp socket with a new 3 way pull chain lamp socket. The bulb is good, but the lamp only lights on 1 stage. What did I do wrong?
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Feb 7, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Are you sure the bulb works as a three-way? If so, maybe the central contact in the new socket is pushed down. Disconnect the lamp and pull it up a bit with your finger.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 03:47 AM
    A three way socket actually has two hot contacts at the bottom of the socket, the typical one in the center that can be adjusted up and down, and just off center is another contact that is a non-adjustable tab like contact.

If you look at the bottom of a three way light bulb, you will see two contacts, the center one is a spot of solder, and the other is a metal ring all around the center contact.

The center contact may be adjusted too high, preventing the blub to seat down to hit the tab contact.
    GaryCN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    A three way socket actually has two hot contacts at the bottom of the socket, the typical one in the center that can be adjusted up and down, and just off center is another contact that is a non-adjustable tab like contact.

If you look at the bottom of a three way light bulb, you will see two contacts, the center one is a spot of solder, and the other is a metal ring all around the center contact.

The center contact may be adjusted too high, preventing the blub to seat down to hit the tab contact.
    This had been driving me crazy as I just replaced a corroded socket and the new one was only coming on at the high setting. Slight finger pressure on the center contact made it function correctly.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Seems I was right again.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryCN View Post
    This had been driving me crazy as I just replaced a corroded socket and the new one was only coming on at the high setting. Slight finger pressure on the center contact made it function correctly.
    I hate saying "I told you so".
    dobisw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2010, 05:26 PM
    It is now July 17th, 2010. I had the same problem. Thank you! Pressing down the middle pin worked!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wet socket and one other not functioning [ 3 Answers ]

About 6 months ago my patio wet socket and another normal 110 socket in my garage stopped functioning. I checked all my breakers and none were tripped. Nothing else in the house is not working, just those two sockets. Any thoughts on what it might be? I replaced one with a new socket, but there is...

Help with buying new Socket 478 Motherboard! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My motherboard has blown. I can't afford to buy the m/board, cpu, ram and graphics card etc so I need to just replace the board. I am having trouble finding a board that fits my requirements as the Socket 478 seems to be going out of stock everywhere. What I need: Socket 478 M/board FSB...

Wall socket plug in chargers [ 3 Answers ]

I just heard on the T. V. that I am "waisting " (using) energy if I don't unplug my plug-in charger for, e.g. cell phone, rechargeable flashlight, etc. How can that be if I don't have any of these appliances plugged into the charger, drawing current to the appliance?

Double duty wall socket [ 1 Answers ]

When tackling my last problem (btw thanks guys!) I discovered that one of my wall sockets had a third wire (extended circuit) coming off the socket. They doubled the wire on two of the connection screws and ran a line into the side attic (Cape Cod house) to light the attic. When I was replacing...

Socket 939 motherboards [ 1 Answers ]

I've read that many boards that have a 939 socket for AMD 64 bit processors can also support their new dual core X2 but what I wanted to know is how do I tell if a motherboard can support dual core or not? I thought maybe there is a list of chipsets that can support it but I don't know where to...

View more questions Search