Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debyoung Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 11:34 AM
    Traditional IRA
    You have a MFJ couple that has a combined AGI of $170,000 One spouse is covered by an employers retirement plan and doesn't contribute to a traditional IRA. The other spouse is not covered by a retirement plan and contributes $6000 to a traditional IRA. Does she get to take the $5000 credit and roll the additional $1000 over to a form 8606 or is there AGI together too much so she has to put the entire $6000 on form 8606? Please help and advise!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 12:47 PM
    She doesn't get a credit but rather a deduction. In 2011 filing MFJ and for AGI between $170K and $179K where she is not covered by a retirement plan but he is, she gets to deduct a portion of the $6K - I figure $4500. The rest gets reported as a non-deductible IRA contribution on Form 8606. For reference see IRS Pub 560: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Oct 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
    Actually the limit to be able to deduct the contribution is $109000 for married filing jointly if one of the spouses is covered by a retirement plan at work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inherited Traditional IRA [ 1 Answers ]

The IRA trustee has divided the IRA between all beneficiaries and each will have what looks like a IRA savings account. The account name list the beneficiary and the original IRA owner. If this sounds true to form then are the beneficiaries now the trustee? And if so, then a trustee to trustee...

403b Traditional IRA [ 2 Answers ]

My hospital has changed its 403b plan with ING to a new 403b with Lincoln. Can I rollover the old 403b plan to a tradictional ira or to Lincoln without paying any taxes or fees?

Traditional IRA [ 2 Answers ]

What should I be looking out for when I open a Traditional IRA?

View more questions Search