Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Oct 26, 2011, 04:14 PM
    Does my child become a Swedish citizen if I give birth in Sweden?
    I'm not currently pregnant, I'm just thinking ahead for the future. I would love my child to have double citizenship for the US and Sweden. My husband is a native born Swede. I adore Sweden and would love to give birth there one day. But I don't see much point in traveling all the way there to give birth, if my baby doesn't get any kind of citizenship.

Any insight on this would be great. (:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
    Here is the info - A Swedish American in Swedish-America: Moving to Sweden - Swedish Citizenship Test

It also lists resources.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2011, 06:53 PM
    No, very few nations follow the rules that he US has. Normally most nations require you be born to a parent who is a citizen.
    So you or the babies father would have to be a swiss citizen for the chlld to be swiss at birth.

I had a great link, but lost it when I lost interent for a bit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At birth, can you give your child another last name other than either parent? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know if it is possible to give your child at birth another last name other than either of the parents? I am in New Jersey and just wondering if this is possible. Thank you

Can I give my child my fianc?'s last name if he's already on her birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I want to legally change my daughters last name to my fiance's last name. Her biological father hasn't been in her life or tried to since she's been born. I gave my child his last name because I thought he was going to take part of her life. Do I have to seek her real father's permission to change...

View more questions Search