Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aprn28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2011, 02:08 PM
    Probability
    A check of dorm rooms on a large college campus revealed that 38% had refrigerators 52% had tv's, and 21% had both. What is the probability that a randomly selected dorm has a) a TV but no refrigerator? b) a TV or a ref but not both c) neither a TV nor a refrigerator
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 26, 2011, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprn28 View Post
    A check of dorm rooms on a large college campus revealed that 38% had refrigerators 52% had tv's, and 21% had both. What is the probability that a randomly selected dorm has a) a tv but no refrigerator? b) a tv or a ref but not both c) neither a tv nor a refrigerator

I would use a Venn diagram in this situation.Namely, two overlapping circles. A rectangle around the perimeter of the circles could represent neither refrigerators nor T.V.
    If you can work the two overlapping circles to three percentages for a total less than 100 percent then you should be well on your way to working out [c]

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability [ 0 Answers ]

A bridge is designed with the anticipated life span of L - 100years. Decide the appropriate Return period of external loads corresponding to the risk of design load being exceeded in these L years As 2% , 5% and 10% , respectively.

Probability [ 6 Answers ]

1) Two cards are drawn in succession from a well shuffled pack of cards (without replacement). Find the probability that: I) both cards are red ii)both cards are the same colour iii) the cards are different colours 2) A box contains 7 red balls and 11 black calls. Two balls are taken out...

Probability [ 0 Answers ]

If p(A)=1/2;p(B)=1/3 and p(A п B)=1/4 ; find p(A’/B’)

Probability [ 4 Answers ]

I have four formulas for probability. They are: P (A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - Mutually exclusive P(A1), P(A2),. P(An) = 1 - Mutually exclusive and exhaustive P (A and B) = P(A) x P(B) - Independent P (A and B) = P(A) x P(B|A) - Conditional probability I have all these formulas but when I look...

Geometric probability, conditional probability with area of square [ 2 Answers ]

Chose a point at random in a square with sides 0<x<1 and 0<y<1. Let X be the x coordinate and Y be the y coordinate of the point chosen. Find the conditional probability P(y<1/2 / y>x).

View more questions Search