Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Navarre Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2004, 06:11 AM
    Keep having to 'REFRESH' whilst browsing.
    :) Hi everyone. This is my first ever posting so I hope I'm doing it right.
    I have had my internet connection for a little over two weeks now and seem to have spent 95% of my time online sorting out 'security' stuff. I have a few final things to tweak and would greatly appreciate anyone's help with any of them (I have looked through the threads first but couldn't find any solutions to these following probs). PLEASE help. :confused:
    The various 'security' applications that I am using are Sygate (firewall), F-prot (anti-virus), SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, Yahoo and Google popup blockers and Guidescope (proxy server-i think!). As far as protecting my computer is concerned verything seems to be working fine (I get a full stealth rating from the GRC Shields up test and regular scans of my system reveal no viruses or spyware threats etc). I will make a separate thread for each problem to make it easier for others perhaps experiencing similar problems to find them:

2. 80% of the time that I'm browsing I get the 'The page cannot be displayed' message. Yet every time I select 'refresh' it displays the page I've linked to fine! What can I change to stop me having to 'refresh' every time? :confused:
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2004, 06:55 AM
    Actually, this can be normal behaviour. It usually means that the site you are addressing (or your Interet Service Provider = ISP) is too busy. A hit miss of 2.80 percent is high and ennoying, but not alarming.
    Anyway, you may want to verify if your DNS settings are as specified by your ISP (it's in the TCP/IP properties).

Oct 23, 2004, 10:20 AM
    Thanks,but...
    Hi Urmod4u. Thanks for your reply. I have checked what you suggested but this is the area I find most confussing so here is the set up. Does it look OK to you? My ISP is NTL Broadband.

INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP) PROPERTIES:
    'Obtain DNS server address automatically' is selected.

ADVANCED TCP/IP SETTINGS:
    'Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes' is selected with 'Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix' ticked.

'Register this connections address in the DNS' is ticked also.

By the way, sorry for the confussion, but the '2' in the 2. 80% meant that this was the '2nd' of my posted problems, as mentioned in the main body text. I actually experience this particular problem AT LEAST 80% of the time! Again sorry for the confussion.
    Thanks again.

Oct 24, 2004, 01:58 AM
    Oops - 80 percent - that is something else.
    Your settings look OK, that is how most ISPs require it today.
    My next thought was that you might be using a proxy server - you can check this in your browser settings (topbar: TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS, on the CONNECTIONS tab click on LAN SETTINGS) be sure that you do NOT use a proxy server.
    If this is OK, turn off the GUIDESCOPE (yes, that's a kind of a proxy, and yes, it registers what you're doing). It could be the bottleneck.
    You also need only one pop-up blocker (I prefer Google) and one spyware protection (I prefer spybot S&D).
    Protection is required, but overprotection will stand in the way of normal operations - which may be your problem today.

Oct 24, 2004, 04:01 AM
    Guidescope disabled
    Thanks again Urmod4u. I have uninstalled Guidescope and returned my Internet Connection settings to what they were before. Will post to let you (and others experiencing similar difficulties) if this does the trick. I suspect that this will resolve the problem I'm having as well with my e-mail server not recognising me, when I post through Outlook (seperate thread).
    Just goes to show how muddled I've got (suffering from information overload actually!) because I thought Spyware blaster tried to 'prevent' the downloading of spyware and S&D was a kind of 'scanner' to use now and again to ensure Spyware Blaster had been successful or not (with the option to then remove any 'threats' that had got past it).
    Could you please advise me on whether or not I should be concerned about 'anonymous surfing' (i.e. shielding my IP address etc). That was my main reason for using Guidescope. I have another application called GetAnonymous. Should I use it? And what is my best method for secure anonymous e-mail, PGP, remialers etc?
    Thanks again for your time Urmod4u.

Oct 24, 2004, 04:47 AM
    Anonymous Email: easy, get a free account at Yahoo. 100 MByte space.
    Anonymous surfing: don't worry too much about that. Even with your own ID, you are anonymous. There are so many surfers around...
    You cannot hide your IP address, except maybe through an intermediate server (e.g. a proxy server) - if - and only if - it doesn't send your own IP address along anyway (which it usually does!). The other side needs an IP address where to send the answer.
    If you don't want to get spammed, give your Email address only to people you trust. And even then, give them only an anonymous address, such as Yahoo or Excite. If you get spammed in spite of your effort, it is very easy to drop that Email addy and to go for a new one.
    For safe surfing, a firewall is also required.
    Spybot will also effectively block spyware from entering your system (TeaTimer) - so you don't need any other.
    I have no information about GETANONYMOUS, but as already mentioned, you *are* anonymous, unless you are the president of the USA.

Oct 26, 2004, 07:12 AM
    Problem Solved
    Thanks Urmod4u. Disableing Guidescope has solved both my e-mail problem and the 'refresh' issue (I haven't had a single refresh message in two days now!). Thanks again. :)
    sbs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2004, 04:48 PM
    I have a problem very similar to that reported by Navarre, with the "page cannot be displayed" message appearing immediately after I start IE, but pages open properly after clicking "refresh". Once within a given website, links within that site open smoothly, but when I navigate to another distinct site, the "cannot load" thing occurs again. It is not a time-out thing because it happens immediately. Also, I get an error box immediately after I open Outlook Express (it is set to download new mail automatically when OE is opened), but when I click on "Send and Receive", it will immediately download the new mail properly. Once running, it continues to function correctly. I don't have Guidescope. I have separately tried disabling my Zone Alarm firewall, Norton, and I have nothing else running. I ran SpyBot and Pest Patrol without help. I checked with RoadRunner (my cable modem ISP), and they don't offer any suggestions. Finally, this same behavior occurs on my laptop. It runs from the same modem, but connects via a wireless router while the desktop connects by a wire. The two computers are otherwise not set as a network, I don't think. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Nov 11, 2004, 08:03 AM
    This looks like "no connection".
    When it happens, before anything else, for diagnostic purposes, do the following:
    Click on START
    Click on RUN
    Type CMD and enter
    In the DOS box that opens, type IPCONFIG and enter.
    Write down (and copy here) the IP address of the adapter used for internet.
    Anyway, you may try to solve the problem (at least for the current session) by entering, in sequence:
    IPCONFIG /RELEASE
    IPCONFIG /RENEW
    zoiuk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Hello Everyone
    I am having the same problem of having to refresh everywebpage I visit. I have Panda internet security 2006 but this problem started when I had no anti virus software installed. Both my systems on this network are clean. I have tried spybot as well. Please helppppp.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Hi, Zoiuk,
    Try this:
    At at site, click on Tools at the top, then click Internet Options.
    Click on the Security tab.
    Left click on the Internet icon, to hightlight it. Then click on the Custom Level button, bottom right.
    Re-set the level to "medium".
    Click on Apply and OK.
    This might help, but not absolutely sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox question about the "tabbed browsing" [ 4 Answers ]

I recently started using Firefox browser, unfortunately, I messed around with customizing it and somehow It does not do the "tabbed browsing" feature. I lost it and cannot find where to fix it. I did delete the program, the Firefox and reinstalled it hoping it would go back to the default...

Automatic Refresh on Website [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, How can I set up a web site to automatically refresh daily on the viewers browser... the home page is upadated constantly and I want to make sure visitors are seeing the most current version of the home page. How can I set that if it has been more than 24 hours, the page will...

Web browsing and VPN [ 3 Answers ]

Have installed BT Voyager router 2091 for fast broadband internet access via ethernet cable. Works fine as browser, e-mail and VPN separately. I cannot browse internet while connected to VPN although I can send and receive e-mails OK although somwhat slower when connected VPN. Previously used BT...

Offline Browsing [ 2 Answers ]

In this country loadsheding and power failure is common.During net session power fails and comuter shut down.All offline files/pages stored in internet temp folder are no longer available and deleted automatically.This case is common in WIN XP,which I am using.In win98 only current net session...

Automatic Page Refresh after done [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Is it possible to refresh a page automatically after the page has loaded and is done? The page is written in asp. Thanks, John

View more questions Search