Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Oct 24, 2011, 10:15 PM
    Moving a kitchen directly downstairs
    I am considering buying a condo that has a kitchen, dining room and bedroom on the first floor, and a living room underneath. I wanted to know how much it would cost to move the kitchen directly below where it is now to the bottom floor. I know that the costs are driven up by the electric and plumbing but I was hoping maybe there wouldn't be that much work if we could just come down from the top. Would be keeping everything in the existing kitchen (it is new construction), just moving it. Also, I would want to make the old kitchen and dining room into a bedroom. Thanks.
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2011, 08:34 PM
    What is finish of floor in existing living room?
    If concrete, would have to break up for drain for kitchen sink.

U would have to redo bathroom off existing living room and lose the closet and laundry area.

The cost of this work would not increase value of unit.

U would end up with a living room area about 11 x 15.

If I was u, would look for a unit that is more to your liking.

Chuck
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Oct 26, 2011, 07:31 AM
    I am sure the floor is concrete under the tile.

So how much would it cost?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2011, 02:46 PM
    I would recommend getting an estimate from at lest 3 contractors in your area.Be sure to include all work to be done.This would include electric, plumbing, and heating. Each area of the country would be different.

From your drawing I would estimate in excess of $40000.00. There are too may voids in your request that have to be covered. To name a few.

1. Finish on floors in all areas.
    2. Finish on walls. s/r, paneling, wallpaper.
    3. New laundry room?
    4. Closets in new bedroom.

Hope this is helpful.

Chuck
    rutting2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 01:04 PM
    How much would it cost move the kitchen to ground floor and move the bathroom on first floor.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2012, 05:04 PM
    how much would it cost move the kitchen to ground floor and move the bathroom on first floor.
    In order to answer your question we would first need,
    Complete estimates from the electrician, the carpenter and the painter.
    The plumbing section would need a material list.
    Not being on the site there's no way to estimate labor cost. And speaking of labor costs would this be a union or nonunion job? If you can furnish us with all that information we could
    Probably come up with a ballpark figure. Do you see now how impossible it is for us to estimate a job setting in front of a computer a thousand miles away, You're going to have to get your estimates locally. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from under kitchen sink sometime from downstairs bathroom [ 5 Answers ]

We purchased a weekend house in the mountain in the summer. In Dec, we noticed an odor coming from the kitchen sink area and sometimes an oder from the lower level bathroom. I immediate used baking soda and different odds in ends to try to stop the odor but nothing worked. Then we thought it...

Moving a bathroom to a former kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a coop apartment in NYC and want to install a bathroom where a kitchen used to be located (the apartment has another kitchen and I do not need a second one!). The former kitchen is adjacent to an existing bathroom/powder room that will be removed. My questions are: 1. Can I tie into...

Moving a kitchen sink [ 35 Answers ]

I want to move my kitchen sink to adjacent wall in my kitchen. My question is how to tie in the drain and vent to meet code. To make this easy I would like to go through walls instead of going down. I have a basement but it is finished. There is an existing drain and vent pipe are 38 inches...

Moving the kitchen sink [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a semi circle shaped kitchen. The length is rectangular but there is a part of the wall that continues from a doorway in that semi circle where the sink and dishwasher is housed. I also have a slab house built in 2000. I would like to remodel the kitchen and take down that...

Mysterious 2nd floor bathtub leak into downstairs kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 bathtubs on my second floor, but only one leaks into my kitchen when used. I continue to use the sink and toilet in the bathroom with the leaky tub and I do not see any water leaking into the kitchen. I no longer use that bathtub- and no additional leak. Why would only one bathtub...

View more questions Search