Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2011, 12:14 PM
    Do you read nutrition labels? Would you read them if they were 1-5 stars?
    A study released today proved what most of us probably already know - a lot of us don't look at the nutrition labels on the food we buy very closely. Do you?

What do you look for?

Would you be interested in a new label which was made up of a 1 to 5 star system rating the health of the food you were buying?

Do you think if this 5 star system resulted in lower sales of unhealthy items, would companies finally move to more wholesome, healthy ingredients?

Note: This is from today's blog post about a new study revealing consumer's lack of attention to nutrition labels.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2011, 02:04 PM
    I look for anything "soy" in the labeling and try to avoid that like the plague as it is nothing more than animal feed that puts pounds on cattle (and humans) waiting for slaughter. It also causes GI problems and puts on pounds that a person can't easily take off. I also look for anything with extremely high carb levels and stuff with canola oil (grape seed oil) that is essentially bad for you as well (causes GI problems).

The 5 star rating would not work as what some people think as healthy (like soy and canola oil/products) are bad for you to consume yet ironircally they are supposedly "good, healthy foods"... go figure.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Nov 4, 2011, 12:06 PM
    I never read labels. But I think if I were overweight or told by a doctor I need to make some changes, I would start to.

I seem to be doing all right with what I pick up at the shops so far!

X Dani
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2011, 12:28 PM
    A "star rating" of labels would only make them less clear than they are now.

A study of 200 people is hardly "proof" of what people, in general, do or think.

I'd far rather better education about what each line on the label means, rather than trust the judgment of someone else who would give a summary of those ingredients as a "star rating".
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
    The UK have been using a Traffic light colour coding design for a while now.
    Makes things easy to read.
    There's some different designs, but all along the same idea.

Food labelling - Live Well - NHS Choices
    hopeamal Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Nov 14, 2011, 06:23 AM
    Yeah, I read labels.. I avoid ingredients that contain eggs because it cause allergic to me and I avoid also high sugar.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2011, 06:29 AM
    I read the labels sometimes, in fact my kids read them more than I do and they warn us of the bad stuff (OMG, look at all the salt!) and the good stuff (hey this has lot of vitamin A). I say keep them as they are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To lower my cholesterol, what do I have to look out for on nutrition labels [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, found out my cholesterol is way to high. I want to try Frozen dinners, so I don't have to cook.. lol. Any Idea which frozen dinner is a good one to lower my cholesterol? I know I have to eat a low-fat diet but what else do I have to look out for? Is Sodium intake a problem, does it have to be...

Cannot read CD, but I can read other CDs [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to load a version4 of Scrapbook Factory without success. The drive starts but then nothing. I am able to read other CDs and also a previous version of Scrapbook Factory. I am baffled.

DVDWriter Read DVD Don't Read CD [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have LG DVD Writer it was reading all kinds of CD & DVD's but now it reads all DVD's but don't read except a few number of CD's. My DVD writer writes successfully CD's & DVD's What is the solution for not reading the CD's. Thanks

View more questions Search