Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Design problem - Business Personal Property database
    I'm working on moving my records from Excel to Access. The database so far is a table of assets, a table of Categories for grouping in a report (only 2 category records, Office Equipment and Computer Equipment), and a DateRange table to group report records by specific year periods with friendly group header label. The report is based on query:

SELECT tblCategory.Label, tblDateRanges.[Label], tblAsset.ID, tblAsset.AcquisitionDate, tblAsset.AcquisitionCost, tblAsset.Vendor, tblAsset.Description, tblAsset.ServiceStartDate
    FROM tblDateRanges, tblCategory INNER JOIN tblAsset ON tblCategory.ID=tblAsset.[Category ID]
    WHERE (((tblAsset.ServiceStartDate)>=[StartDate] And (tblAsset.ServiceStartDate)<=[EndDate]))
    ORDER BY tblCategory.Label, tblDateRanges.[Label] DESC , tblAsset.ServiceStartDate DESC;

Table structure below:

tblAsset
    ID
    CategoryID
    AcquisitionDate
    AcquisitionCost
    Vendor
    Description
    ServiceStartDate
    ServiceEndDate

tblCategory
    ID
    Label

tblDateRanges
    ID
    StartDate
    EndDate
    Label

I'm stuck on how to add the percentage discount into either the year, category, or another table so that the assessed value calculations are applied like so:

Office Equipment category:
    Year 2011 - 90%
    Year 2010 - 80%
    Year 2009 - 70%
    Year 2008 - 60%
    Year 2007 - 50%
    Year 2006 - 40%
    Year 2005 & Prior - 30%

Computer Equipment category:
    Year 2011 - 70%
    Year 2010 - 50%
    Year 2009 - 30%
    Year 2008 - 15%
    Year 2007 - 10%
    Year 2006 - 5%
    Year 2005 & Prior - 2%

I setup a percentages table like below but then didn't know how to implement it in the report.

tblPercent
    ID
    CategoryID
    DateRangeID
    Discount

Ideally the report would prompt for current year when run and generate the DateRanges and Percentages information on the fly.

Sample report attached.

Also, who/what provides good Access training?
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Personal Property Report Sample.pdf (53.7 KB, 175 views)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2011, 08:36 AM
    OK, so what you need is to apply the depreciation percentage to the total per year, per category. You could add this into your query. You could link it to each record on Year and Category. Then just use the amount in the footer for the group. I would try that first.

An alternative would be a DLookup to retrieve the percent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Database design: How is a resource pool modeled? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a finite resource pool (software licenses). One or more instances can be drawn from the pool to be associated with an asset (computer). When the instances are liberated from an asset they return to the pool for reuse (computer prepped for disposal). How is this normally modeled? I think...

Design a database application n Access or Visual Basic which can be used by a student [ 2 Answers ]

You have to design a simple application In Access and/or Visual Basic which can be used by a student joining a University to record details about himself, his course and his registration and fees paid for each year. Requirements: You should be able to add, update and delete details of...

Proper database design? [ 5 Answers ]

I have an inventory asset database that I would like to add a treeview control to that would show all the different types of assets by location, or by asset type, or by whatever sort I choose to implement. Selecting an item in the lefthand treeview would show summary info common to all assets...

View more questions Search