Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 24, 2011, 06:58 AM
    Can a dog's skin open on its own?
    My 10 year old JRT has an almond shape and size break in her skin right where her haunch meets her side, at the very top, slightly under it, as though someone was about to cut her haunch the way you would remove a chicken thigh. It wasn't there last night, although I did let her out briefly after dark to pee. There is no sign of a bite, nothing jagged, it's clean (and I keep it clean now). I suppose it could have been cut on the ancient wire fence she climbs through day in and day out for years, but that has no sharp places. I suppose she could have been cut many ways, but I'm wondering if skin ever breaks open by itself.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2011, 07:14 AM
    If it happened all of a sudden (overnight) I would bet it's just a cut. Unless there is an abnormality around the cut (swelling, dry cracked skin etc) then I would treat it as a normal cut.

If it if almond shaped and fairly long it may require stitches to pull the skin back together.
    current pert

Oct 24, 2011, 07:56 AM
    Thanks shazamataz.
    It is just about the width/length of an almond and I can't decide about stitches or not... vets here are very expensive.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2011, 09:33 AM
    Can you post a photo of it? We might be able to help you make a decision.

I would suggest butterfly stitches but it has been too long and it may need reopening before being closed again (if that makes sense).
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2011, 03:29 PM
    Some small wounds can be closed via second intention (ie just healing on its own until it closes), but that requires special care. I would at least go to the vet to ensure they don't think it needs antibiotics - and if they agree that second intention is the way to go.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 03:55 PM
    You could also do a butterfly yourself at home. I have done them dozens of times. My money is on the fence. You said it was ancient, so maybe it could have broken off in a spot due to weathering. Here comes my usual spiel. Use Epsom salts to keep it clean and if doesn't heal up with in 2 days (or at least start to look like it's mending) then you should seek your vet.
    current pert

Oct 24, 2011, 06:37 PM
    Yes, I think it was the fence - there's a tiny scratch from the bottom of it all the way across her belly.
    I'm keeping it clean and it's skinning over already. Poor doggy. She's short even by JRT standards.
    She still thinks she has to go guard all the borders.
    We have bald eagles who dive bomb ducks and she's no bigger than a duck.
    We have coyotes.
    We have all the other animals her size too, but those 2 are the ones I worry about. And now I have a cat too. But I let them go outside... and worry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Dog's Crying? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a female Staffy/Boxer, she is adopted from the RSPCA and now 6 years old. She has been neutured as she was used for pups, she also had problems with other dogs but seem to out grow it. I have bought a puppy a Staffy/Mastif and he is 7 months. He is quite boisterous but I believed her calm...

My dog's first heat [ 16 Answers ]

WHAT do I do? I've always had female dogs, but always had them fixed before their first heat. This one came fast, we were told and research said it'd happen AFTER a year. She's ALMOST 10 months now. I did a little research on what to expect, but I was just coming here for TIPS! She's 10...

Dry itchy skin on dog's back [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my terrier mix sporadically over the years gets dry, itchy skin on the lower part of her back and where it meets the tail. It's summer now, with higher humidity, so I don't understand it. This is the only place she's dry and itchy, I don't see any fleas, I have Frontline on her. Anyone have...

PM on dog's skin problem [ 1 Answers ]

'''my dog is shaving herself, causing redness, and to top it off my sister has lice. The doc. Says lice can't be transferred from dog to human, or from human to dog. I've tried giving her medicine, soaking her in Cortizone cream, but nothing works. HELP!'' I strongly feel medical problems need...

My dog's behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed a strange behaviour in my dog, late this evening. He is 7 years of age and is a spitz dog. Today I suddenly found him restless about half an hour after he took his evening meal. He was shivvering in some kind of fear and was trying to hide himself at some corner. Or tried to enetr toilet...

View more questions Search