Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jalizonya Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 06:56 AM
    What happens if you use money given for a new roof for mortgage payment?
    What happens if you use money given for a new roof for mortgage payment?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2011, 07:03 AM
    What happens is you committed insurance fraud.

Oct 24, 2011, 07:48 AM
    What constitutes insurance fraud?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2011, 08:17 AM
    The Insurance company paid money FOR the expressed purpose of replacing the roof. Not for any other expense.

You submitted a claim for the roof, collected money for the roof... but then don't fix the roof with that money.

Oct 24, 2011, 08:37 AM
    Well I haven't actually spent a cent of the money but you got to think, what good would a new roof do me if I lose my home... by the way my insurance co. dropped me after sending me a check that is WAY less than any bids I have received.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 09:06 AM
    Well first you have a couple issues,
    1. they can not just send you a check for less than the bids ( minus your deductable and minus wear and age if your policy allows this deduction.

For example, there is a specific square footage, and the cost of material and labor, most roofers will be within 400 or so of each other normally.

Next at least with mine, I refused to accept their price and asked for them to move this to an independent adjuster.
    After that I got a fair check, then after the roof was fixed, I received a second check for a small amount that is often held till the work is done.

Some insurance companies make the checkout to you and a roofing company.

But it may not be fruad if they merely paid you for the damage, the issue is that you will now have no coverage on that roof in the future till it is fixed.

So you need to deal with the insurance company property before you spend any of the money

Oct 24, 2011, 11:18 AM
    Thanks Chuck... calling my soon to be former agent now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment Plan Mortgage payment behind [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently off work for two months and unable to pay my mortgage payments. My company put me on a payment plan and now they are charging me with other fees that were not told to me. I want to know how can I find out if their practices are legal. Who is the watchdog for these companies. I am...

Refusal to accept mortgage payment, does it void the mortgage? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I live in Ohio and have a mortgage on a home that I inherited. About two years ago I learned I would be losing my job, I contacted the mortgage bank and explained my situation in an attempt to get the mortgage adjusted to something I could afford to maintian. I was told I...

Is it best to pay off a mortgage or get a tax break on the mortgage interest payment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4.75% mortgage rate. Would it be best just to pay off the loan?

Mortgage payment.Mortgage told me one thing amount and then it was another. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay. I had a mortgage loan modification. Had an agreement with my loan company to make a paymnet of about five thousand dollars.Then I received a letter that instead of the five thousand that covered the months of October and November it was two thousand dollars and one of about two hundred and...

Mortgage Payment [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is the borrower and I am the co-borrower on our mortgage. My husband died 9/11/06. I am now 3 months behind on payment (had to pay for funeral). I no longer qualify for my husband's SS money, because my SS is higher. I can pay the mortgage myself if the bank would just put the 3 payments...

View more questions Search