Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjethro00 Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Feb 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Court-Order to file Jointly, but spouse filed separately.
    My friend is going through a divorce, and they had a court order to file taxes jointly.

However, when my friend asked his wife about filing taxes together, and sharing the refund, she quickly filed taxes without him.

Should he file taxes separately, or report it to the court that she broke the court order?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Are there children involved? Is he paying child support and is she claiming the kids as exemptions?

The answer to your question really depends on how much of a refund is at stake and how much grief he wants to go through.

The best thing for him to do is contact his divorce attorney. His attorney will contact her attorney and her attorney will be able to find out exactly what she did. Then the two attorneys will talk and each will advise their clients accordingly. Best solution without creating a serious face to face confrontation between the exs .
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sjethro00
    My friend is going through a divorce, and they had a court order to file taxes jointly.

However, when my friend asked his wife about filing taxes together, and sharing the refund, she quickly filed taxes without him.

Should he file taxes seperately, or report it to the court that she broke the court order?
    She is in comtempt of court, this needs to be reported to the judge who ordered it done.

He should document everything and send it to his attorney.
    sjethro00 Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Feb 7, 2007, 08:31 AM
    He doesn't have an attorney.

And, yes there is a child involved, however the kid is not his, and is from a previous relationship.

The only major thing being disputed as far as I know is homestead/rent credit. She claimed the rent credit/homestead, when he paid for 90% of the housing that tax year.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2007, 08:50 AM
    If your friend doesn't care about upsetting his ex, wants the benefit of the credit, does not have an attorney and doesn't want the expense of an attorney, then I would take Mr. Yet's advice and report this to the judge who signed the final divorce decree. His name and info can be found on the final divorce papers.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 12:06 AM
    No comment! This is REALLY a legal question, not a tax question!
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2007, 04:49 AM
    You are right ATE!:)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Glad SOMEONE agrees with me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F1 and H1 file taxes jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F1 and my husband was on F1 and now he is on H1. But he has been on H1 only for 4 months. We have never filed taxes jointly. Can we file jointly for the year 2006?

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

Court order info needed [ 2 Answers ]

Im On Intence Probation If A Judge Court Ordered Curtisy Supervision In Another County But A Probation Officer In The County Where I Was Sentenced Just Hit Me With 6 Violations Can She Do That Can She Violate A Court Order

Wanted to file taxes jointly, we are on J1/J2 visas [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on J1 visa, came to usa on 09/2004. I'm from India and a non resident both for tax purpose and immigration purpose. My wife who is on J2 visa worked for a little time in the year 2005. She stopped working as she was a pregnant, we had our baby on 12/22/05. Now we wanted to file jointly (as...

To file jointly or separately? Help needed please [ 1 Answers ]

Need help chosing best filing option for my wife and I. We live in NJ, I work in NYC, wife works in NJ. Is it better to file jointly or separately? NY taxes on NY income only, but does use total income (wife + mine) for rate base calculations. Wondering which filing options would be best... ...

View more questions Search