Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarcelaHaddad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2011, 05:57 AM
    Poring concrete slab on top of old slab & then polishing it
    Hi - we have an 11 year old polished concrete floor in our house. We did it ourselves after we removed a couple of walls. First we diamond sanded and then we put a polish on the floor. We also contacted a chemist and obtained a green paint so we ended up with green transparent polished concrete. Looked god for a while but now it really needs redoing. The problem was that the polish was never as glossy as we wanted and we think that it was because the concrete was too sandy. I repainted it 6x and even after 6 coats the finish was the same. So we would like to put a thin layer of concrete on our old polished concrete to get a glossy effect. We would also like to put a colour into the new slab so we won't have to get a dye for the gloss.
    Would it be possible to put new thin layer onto the concrete?
    Thanks for your advise.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 23, 2011, 06:03 AM
    I think the odds of a new layer adhering are nil.
    The only way to get a glossy coat on concrete is with pigmented wax.
    My parents built a house with green concrete floors in 1947. Radiant heat in them too, very advanced for 1947. But they had to wax and polish them (with this huge scary polisher that would spin like crazy if you let go) frequently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving kitchen sink cut up the slab floor cani pour concrete on top [ 7 Answers ]

I am moving my kitchen sink from one side of the kitchen to the other I located the 3" discharge line which is about 5' from my new sink. I have cut the concrete and i am about put a 3 x 3 x 2 tee and then run my 2" line along and up under the sink to the p trap with a 90. ( I hope this is correct)...

Adding 40mm concrete on top of conrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a concrete house slab, and part of it 2m x 6m was originally going to be an outside verandah and has been laid 40mm lower. House plans have changed and I need to bring the lower area up to the same height as the rest of the slab in order to put the steel frame on etc. What is the...

Connecting new concrete slab to old slab for an addition [ 1 Answers ]

I want to expand my master bed room/walk in closet to house. Need to puor new slb for addition and connect to the old slab.

Pouring new Concrete slab over OLD basement slab [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house placed on its exsisting foundation and basement concrete floor in 1934. The floor is solid, uncracked, and level but has several areas that are very uneven. To the point, the basement is unusable for living space. Is it possible, and reasonable, to pour a new slab over the...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

View more questions Search