Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sidjes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Accounting for treasury stock used in stock dividend
    How do I account for treasury stock use in a stock dividend for preferred stock?
    What would the journal entry by?
    I don't believe I should debit retained earnings for this transaction, but I'm not sure what account to debit.
    Please Help
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
    The cost method of accounting for treasury stock records the amount paid to repurchase stock as an increase (debit) to treasury stock and a decrease (credit) to cash. The treasury stock account is a contra account to the other stockholders' equity accounts and therefore, has a debit balance.
    Source: Cliff Notes - Accounting for Stock Transactions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stock Split and Stock Dividend [ 3 Answers ]

The common stock of Alexander Hamilton Inc. is currently selling at $120 per share. The directors wish to reduce the share price and increase share volume prior to a new issue. The per share par value is $10; book value is $70 per share. Nine million shares are issued and outstanding. Prepare...

Stock provision and over valuation of stock [ 4 Answers ]

can anyone send me double entry for stock provision ? Provision amount is 200,000. further stock is over valued by 100,000 what will be the accounting entry for over valuation of stock. Early response will be of immmmmense help for me:o

Treasury Stock [ 1 Answers ]

When using the cost method to account for treasury stock, how do you account for the commissions and fees paid? Are they expensed or charged to treasury stock?

J/E for cost method of treasury stock [ 1 Answers ]

Excel Corporation sells & services air conditioning equipment. The following selected accounts Appear in the ledger on January 1, 2005 the beginning of the current fiscal year. Preferred Stock, $50 par, $2 / share dividend (40,000 shares authorized, 20,000 shares issued) ...

View more questions Search