Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dustinsprincess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
    Grammar Help Please
    I need help with these I'm stuck. More on the way due Thursday
    Comma Usage-Addresses,Dates,and Unrelated Expressions:In the following sentences ,insert commas when needed around addresses,complete dates, & unrelated expressions
    1. On August 5 1775 you know Europeans discovered San Francisco Bay
    2.It was Sir Francis Drake of course wholanded ner the bat on June 17 1579
    3.Indians of course had lived in the area long before the Spanish arrived
    4.Father Serra we know established a number of missions in California
    5.In San Francis for example he built Mission Dolores
    6.Mission Dolores you see was one of the last to be built
    7.In 1835 San Francis indeed became the name of the city
    8.It wasn't until July 9 1896 of course that the U.S. Flag flew over the city
    9.No doubt the discovery of California gold caused the city's population to grow
    10.San Francisco indeed became a bustling city
    11.On April 18 1906 a stron earthquake hit the city
    12.The earthquake and fore moreover nearly destroyed San Francisco
    13.The fire it is said may have been more destructive than the earthquake
    14.San Francisco nevertheless recovered to become a major you.s. City
    15.The city indeed is home to people of many ethnic backgrounds
    16.The people of San Francisco you know are proud of their city's past
    17.The city moreover was the site of the signing of the United Nations Charter
    18.The you.N. Charter indeed was signed there on June 26 1945
    19.Views of the Bay from the city's many hills of course are often spectacular
    20.Inded Twin Peaks is a favorite tourist attraction

Complete Comma Review-Insert the necessary commas in the following sentences
    1.Jenny Cheri and Diane are scheduled to visit Alaska in July
    2.Jenny and Cherifriends at my work chose ship bus and plane tours of the state
    3.They said "Marie won't you go with us?"
    4.I replied "You know I've always wanted to go there."
    5.Diane their friend was pleased that I could go
    6.We flew to Vancouver British Columbia and there we boarded a ship for the Inside Passage
    7.Ketchican Alaska an old gold rush town was our first stop
    8.When we got off the ship the rain came down in buckets
    9.Sitka our next stop once was the capital of Russian Alaska but today it is an American fishing community
    10.Jenny Cheri Diane and I enjoyed our visit to Sitka
    11.Juneau Alaska's capital can be reached only by ship or plane
    12.After we left Juneau we flew to Anchorage Fairbanks and Point Barrow
    13.After flying over the Columbia Glacier Marie exclaimed "That's truly a spectacular sight!"
    14.Mt. McKinley the hihest mountain in North America is in Denali National Park
    15.Moose sheep and grizzly bear are often seen in the park
    16.Point Barrow Alaska's largest Eskimo village is located north of the Arctic Circle
    17.In Point Barrow we purchased mukluks dolls and ceremonial masks as souvenirs
    18.Since our luggae space was limited I said "Please send these to me at 2701 New Avenue Las Vegas Nevada"
    19.The people of Point Barrow you know are proud of their Eskimo culture
    20.We to tell the truth now know why that culture is so rich

Write the contraction for each underlined expression and place te apostrophe in the contraction to replace an omitted letter or letters or to show proper ownership
    1.Joans paper won first prize(singular possessive)
    2.The students bus was late(plural possessive
    3.The women's store closed(plural possessive)
    4.The photographr took the girls picture(singular possessive)

Insert all necessary punctuation marks in the following sentences
    1.The letter from the contest sponsor arrived I was almost too nervous to open it
    2.Your entry has won our contest I read
    3.The prize I d won was a trip for four to the Hawaiian Islands Kauai OahuMaui Hawaii and Molokai all five islands
    4.My entry was an essay entitled The Rule of Law Why
    5.To prepare for the essay I d consulted all kinds of literature books reports magazine articles
    6.My teacher said Congratulations We weren't surprised that you won therefore we've already planned a celebration
    7.She planned the party for the 2nd of December from 5 00 p m to 6 30 p m
    8.My granfather you remember that hed once served as a sailor in Hawaii was invited
    9.All of my friends from school church and the club were invited too
    10.The teacher s invitation read You re invited to help us celebrate Terri s winning the eassy contest
    11.Mrs Anderson Kirsten s mother asked When do you leave for Hawaii
    12.My mother responded it s up to the sponsors They re saying sometime next week Monday Tuesday or Wednesday
    13.A friend asked Weren t you surprised to win
    14.Hawaiian foods pineapple papaya poi were served to the guests
    15.My friend Judy remarked Poi takes getting used to doesn't t it
    16.Please read your essay to the group Terri my teacher requested
    17.When I finished everyone shouted Well done
    18.Our principal Mr Lake announced Terri is the first student from our school to win a national essay contest
    19.Everyone was pleased I d won but I was the most pleased of all
    20.I announced Thanks for your good wishes and I'm off

Capitalization-In the following sentences, add the necessary capital letters
    1.our literary team (bill, lois, judy and bob)is to write a paper about american writers of the past
    2.research revealed that captain jon smith published an accont of the founding of jamestown
    3.captain smith's account of his rescue by pocahontas is filled with descriptions of pioneer struggles
    4.roger williams, founder of Rhode Island colony, was the author of a key into the language of america
    5.in his travel book, itinerarium, alexander hamilton told of his journey from annapolis, Maryland, to portsmouth, New Hampshire
    6.thomas paine's pamphiet, common sense, helped to stir the american patriots
    7.his words, "these are the times that try men's souls," appeared in the first of a series of essays he called the crisis
    8.benjamin franklin's book entitled autobiography is considered an american classic
    9.washington irving and william cullen bryant were major literary figures in New York after 1815
    10.in his book, the sketch book, irving wrote about ripvan winkle
    11.ralph waldo enerson, another american man of letters, was born in boston, mass. on may 25, 1803, and died in concord mass. on April 27, 1882
    12.henry david thoreau, who lived for a time at walden pond, wrote a book entitled walden
    13.one of the new england's most famous writers was a harvard university medical professor, oliver wendell holmes
    14.born on long island, n.why. wait whitman was the poet who wrote leaves of grass
    15.another famous poetwas henry wadsworth longfellow who was born in portland, Maine, on February 27 1807
    16.we remember longfellow for many works but especially for the poem the courtship of miles standish
    17.james russell lowell wrote against the mexican war in his biglow papers
    18.the team's research provided us with more information than I expected they would find
    19.it was decided that bill and lois would discuss the works of smith,williams,hamilton,pine,and franklin and write their report by new year's day
    20. Judy and bob areed to concentrate on irving, bryant, emerson, thoreau, holnes,whitman,longfellow,and lowell, and their report was to be completed by christmas

Fill in the necessary punctuation and capitalization in the following story.
    As we sat in our rambling gray and white home among the trees at 223 tioga falls road at little bear lake we watched the dreary rain fall all morning long finally the storm lessened and the dark gray clouds passed over the sun shone brightly on the wet grass yes the day soon was as pleasant as any other August day of course we knew that was usually true with a warm summer rain this time however the rain had swelled the river and washed away our small wooden bridge sally my youngest sister sat beside the destroyed bridge she was unhappy because of its loss it was then that a shiny red convertible drove up beside her the four of us our names are thomas helen loni and joshua watched as the car approached it was around 2 30 p m August 17 1991 the driver an ill-humored stranger hollered out the window I a sullen way how deep is this river kids my youner sister wrinkled her brow but she replied not too deep can I make it if I drive though it right here the man asked speak up stupid I don t have all day the stranger demanded I think so replied my sister in fact I'm sure you can the driver shifted into gear and started into the swift stream midway across the car began to settle into the mud the angry soaked and bedraggled driver sloshed through the raging water toward my sister soft mud clung to his jacket and trousers the fellow was purple with rage by the time he reached my sister you dumb kid why did you tell me I could drive through that river water he yelled it s over five feet deep right there with an innocent expression my younger sister looked toward the sunken car then in a small voice she said slowly I don t understand it the water is only up to here on the ducks swimming out there

Fill in all necessary punctuation and capitalization I the following sentences
    1.the airline announcer said flight 406 to Washington d c dallas and phoenix is ready for boarding
    2.the riley family of New York moved forward to the flight gate
    3.bob carol and lauren riley and ronald and lucy their parents were eager to be on their way
    4.ronald the father was taking the family to visit relatives in Arizona
    5.carol carried a copy of victoria magazine to read on the flight
    6.she I believe likes victoria better than the country living
    7.lauren and bob both like business week magazine and time
    8.bob read an article in time entitled all about stress
    9.he told laurenread it and it will help you
    10.you re going to read that stuff questioned carol of her brother and sister
    11.the rileys plane was delayed from 11 00 a m to 1 00 p m
    12.the depature time change of course was a disappointment and it meantthey would arrive at phoenix airport several hours late
    13.when the delay was announced dr riley suggested to his family let s take a walk around kennedy international airport
    14.carol the youngest riley daughter said you go and I ll stay here
    15.bob expained that he was hungry and then he said let s eat instead
    16.dr. And mrs riley lauren and bob walked to the airport eestaurant the landings
    17.just as his parents expected bob ordered a cheeseburger onion rings and a root beer
    18.bob do you think that will hold you until we have lunch on the plane joked dr riley
    19.gee said bob I guess it will but I sure wouldn t want to starve in the meantime
    20.just then carol rushed to the table and said hurry the plane is leaving early

Fill in all necessary punctuation and capitalization in the following sentences
    1.peter do you know where the deepest lake in the you s is located adked ms sobul the teacher
    2.yes peter replied I believe it is in Oregon
    3.peter continued by saying the name of the lake is crater lake and it s in crater lake national park
    4.ms sobul then asked who knows when the lake was discovered and by whom
    5.janet waved her arm and shouted I do
    6.ms sobul said all right janet tell us
    7.after she rose to her feet janet said that the lake was discovered in 1853 by john wesley hillman a prospector
    8.you re correct said the teacher but in what book or magazine did you read about it
    9.janet responded I used to live in Oregon and in my other school I read about it in national geographic
    10.did you visit the lake ms sobul asked and if you did is the water as blue and beautiful as they say
    11.janet responded yes the water is the deepest blue you can ever imagine
    12.I ve seen it in photographs but I ve never visited the lake in person ms sobul commented
    13.do they call it crater lake because it s in a volcanic crater wilma another student asked
    14.who can respond to that question ms sobul asked
    15.terry raised his hand and responded it was created by volcanic action but it isn't t a crater
    16.that s right terry but do you know the source of the lake s water said the teacher
    17.yes responded terry the lake gets its water from melting snow and rainwater
    18.when we still lived in Oregon interjected janet I went with my family to mazama campground for a vacation
    19.when we were there janet added I learned that it became a national park in 1902 the nation s sixth national park
    20. Although the park doesn't t attract great hordes of tourists those who come really enjoy their visit
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2011, 06:48 PM
    I'm sorry - I don't have the time to do all of this homework for you. I doubt anyone else does.

Perhaps reviewing rules of punctuation in your school books would be a good starting place for you. Here's a good site: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 22, 2011, 07:50 AM
    Please refer to this announcement:
    Do not simply retype or paste a question from your book or study material

We won't do your homework questions for you.
    You were given the assignment for you to learn.

If you come up with your own answer and post it for us to critique that is within reason.

If you have some SPECIFIC questions that you couldn't find or didn't understand, we may help with that.
    But this is your assignment, so show us you have at least attempted to complete it on your own.

Thank you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2011, 08:45 AM
    I don't know why you are "stuck." The comma rules are very straighforward.

Month/day/year: Sally went to Peoria on July 24, 2010, and enjoyed herself there.
    Interrupter: Sally suddenly felt ill and, for whatever reason, nearly fainted.
    Appositive: Sally, a third-grade teacher, hated to correct papers.
    Series: Sally ate a plum, two bananas, and five grapes.
    Dependent clause: Before it got light, Sally had cleaned house.
    Two independent clauses connected by a conjunction: Sally bought a necklace for herself, and then she went out for dinner.

There are tons of comma helps (easy to read and follow) on the Internet. Just Google -- or hey, check your textbook!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 22, 2011, 01:30 PM
    Tell you what: I will do the first one in each category. That should give you an idea how to do the rest. If you are still stumped with others, tell us which one it is, give us how you would do it, and we will critique your effort. Corrections are in bold. Mis-spelled words are in [brackets].OK?

Quote Originally Posted by dustinsprincess View Post
    ... Comma Usage-Addresses,Dates,and Unrelated Expressions:In the following sentences ,insert commas when needed around addresses,complete dates, & unrelated expressions
    1. On August 5, 1775, you know, Europeans discovered San Francisco Bay.

Complete Comma Review-Insert the necessary commas in the following sentences
    1.Jenny, Cheri, and Diane are scheduled to visit Alaska in July.

Write the contraction for each underlined expression and place the apostrophe in the contraction to replace an omitted letter or letters or to show proper ownership
    1.Joan's paper won first prize. (singular possessive)

Insert all necessary punctuation marks in the following sentences
    1.The letter from the contest sponsor arrived. I was almost too nervous to open it.

Capitalization-In the following sentences, add the necessary capital letters
    1.Our literary team (Bill, Lois, Judy, and Bob)is to write a paper about American writers of the past

Fill in the necessary punctuation and capitalization in the following story.
    As we sat in our rambling gray and white home among the trees at 223 Tioga Falls Road at Little Bear Lake, we watched the dreary rain fall all morning long.

Fill in all necessary punctuation and capitalization I the following sentences
    1.The airline announcer said "Flight 406, to Washington D.C., Dallas, and Phoenix, is ready for boarding.

Fill in all necessary punctuation and capitalization in the following sentences
    1."Peter, do you know where the deepest lake in the [you] U. S. is located?" [asked] asked Ms. Sobul, the teacher. ...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grammar [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Do you say 'good at English' or 'good in English'? Which is which? Thanks.

Studying grammar [ 3 Answers ]

Part of my Writing final the semester will be what my teacher calls a diagnostic. He gives us about 50 multiple choice questions. It'll ask us things like which sentence is most clear and concise, word word is misspelled or misused (ex/ effect vs. affect), or ask questions with comma splices or...

Grammar [ 7 Answers ]

Hi!? Do you say "to the left/right of sth" or "on the right/left of". I found that both possibilities are correct. Is that right? Thank you

View more questions Search