Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2011, 03:24 PM
    How do you feel about vaccinations for your children?

What do you think about vaccinations for children? Have you talked to your physician about your concerns? Have you delayed vaccinations for your children? What are your fears? Tell us below.

This question is from a recent blog post, "New study shows younger doctors less likely to favor Vaccinations" on the AMHD blog.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2011, 03:46 PM
    If you can avoid any vaccinations for your children, by all means avoid them at all costs.

I even avoid any flu shots each year regardless of what they say or what inducement is given. I would suggest that everyone avoid a flu shot period. The long term affects upon your health from one teeny tiny flu shot can be more than you bargained for.

The only time I willingly got a flu shot was about 15 years ago in Florida. I got raging ill for 2 weeks from that wonderfully innocent flu shot. My son got very ill as well as he got a flu shot at the same time I did. He had 3 weeks worth of fun being raging ill. We have not been back since and don't get the flu or even the common cold so why should I subject my good health to this poison?

They can rage on and on on the TV all they want to go get a flu shot but I flatly refuse to put any substance in my body that can cause my health residual problems.

Here in Ohio the Amish don't believe in vaccinations and don't subject their children to this practice. Sometimes the children do get say the measels or mumps but they then seek medical treatment for their children.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2011, 09:58 PM
    I do what is called selective vax'ing. I only vax the standard, basic, old fasioned, time proven ones. The ones I grew up with. We refuse the flu shots, the chicken pox shots (POX PARTIES!! ) and my daughter will NEVER have the guardasil unless she is 18 and decides for her self.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2011, 10:51 PM
    I was born when there were few vaccinations, so I spent countless hours in a dark bedroom with German (one time, and then I was immune) and regular measles outbreaks, itched to death with chickenpox (and have since had a painful case of shingles as an adult), and was scared to move since we didn't know what caused polio (public swimming pools? Dogs? Physical affection?). I didn't want to end up crippled for life or in an iron lung or dead. As a result, I made sure my two sons were vaccinated against those diseases and others.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) says this:

Community immunity or "herd immunity" is an important part of protecting the community against disease. Because vaccinated people have antibodies that neutralize a germ, they are much less likely to transmit that germ to other people. Thus, even people who have not been vaccinated (and those whose vaccinations have become weakened or whose vaccines aren't fully effective) often can be shielded by the herd immunity because vaccinated people around them are not getting sick. Herd immunity is more effective as the percentage of people vaccinated increases. People who are not immunized increase the chance that they and others will get the disease.

Attachment 37765
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
    Personally, I make sure my son has been vaccinated on the regular schedule for children.

Was in this debate last year because my wife has never once got the flu shot ever in her life. My son has had pneumonia several times, gets sick quite often. Which builds up their immunity.

At the same time, I work in a nursing home. My wife and son are more susceptible on picking things up. It is like the argument for the shots are more convincing to me then not. Why not protect yourself. From the flu and from other vaccinations. If you do not protect yourself, you put others at more of a risk of picking up things.

So this year even though it did not hurt my wife one bit. She is wavering about getting the flu shot but said my son can have it. I already had it ahead of time because of working in the health field it is expected you protect yourself, and also protect the patients that your in contact with.

It goes both ways.

The people, the fear about vaccinations. The parents that are not vaccinating their children. Are putting them at greater risk of getting something that could kill them.

I am not taking that chance. Do you want to?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CNA Vaccinations? [ 2 Answers ]

Im training to be a CNA (Certified Nurse Asisstant) and I was told to get vaccinated, does anyone know what vaccines I should get?:confused:

Puppy Vaccinations [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Michigan and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what vaccines I can and cannot administer myself to my puppy. I am pretty sure that Rabies is the only one I cannot give my dog. Any help? Thanks

Cat Vaccinations [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter just had to have her 2-year-old (previously healthy 23-pound) cat put to sleep. He was fine until she took him in two weeks ago to have a physical. They gave him distemper and rabies shots. Two days later he became lethargic, refused to eat and was just generally not himself. He spent...

How important are vaccinations? [ 30 Answers ]

Okay, for all you dog experts. When I took my puppy boy to the vet for Rabies and Parvo, the doctor really pushed other vaccinations. I am curious if these are necessary for an indoor dog. He only goes outside to potty, for walks, and car rides, any other time he is in the house. I don't really...

Puppy Vaccinations in UK [ 1 Answers ]

Here puppies have 2 vaccinations about 2-3 weeks apart. So do they both contain the same ingredients and in the same amounts or not?

View more questions Search