Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giannidark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 08:08 AM
    1099 form
    I was told that I would not receive a 1099 form from an employer if I earned less than $600.00. I in fact earned $400. So, If I don't receive a 1099, do I need to claim this as income?
    Thanks for any help.
    Gianni
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Gianni:

The fact that you did not receive a Form 1099-MISC does NOT release you from the requirement to report the income on Schedule C.
    renelmiller0120 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
    NO. If you earned under the reportable non-employee compensation limit, and there is not a 1099 required to be filed with the IRS or State in which you resided during that tax year; you are not required to file a tax return. You may have worked for another business, however, and earned more non-employee compensation which puts you over this limit. So beware of your total earnings if you are considered a non-employee or an independent contractor. Make sure that you are keeping track of everything that you make during a tax year or tax period.
    If you do not receive a W-2 or a 1099, but you know that you should have received one, you should contact the employer or business whom you did the work for to earn this compensation, and obtain a copy of the form that you did not receive.

This is my understanding of what needs to happen for the process to run correctly.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Renelmiller:

Ignoring that you are answering a post that is more than five years old, the advice you are giving is NOT accurate.

The IRS DOES require that you report income below the $600 limit that necessitates the origination of the Form 1099-MISC. It is in the Internal Revenue Code.

While a person who reports that income will NOT owe any income tax, there is the self-employment tax requirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1099 tax form [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I have my 1099 tax form with the nonemployee compensation at $1,821 I'm new at this whole tax thing. Does anyone know what I do from here?

I don't what to do with my 1099-C form? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099-C cancellation of debt form. Where on my 1040 federal form do have to put this information in?

1099-C form [ 1 Answers ]

Good Morning I have received a 1099-C form and I have no clue what this is and why I got it and how it will affect my taxes is this a Form they are taking the money from the debt it does say cancellation of Debt but just not sure how this works and what or why I am getthing this. Could you please...

1099-G Form [ 4 Answers ]

I just received a 1099-G form in the mail and in box 2 shows a dollar amount and box 3 from year 2005. What is this for? I have my taxes done by an accountant every year. Would this be his mistake if I have to pay?

1099-C form [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a fixed income and I had a credit card amount of about $6000.00 written off by them because of my recent disability and lack of funds. I did pay them half . So now we are even, but they sent me a letter stating they are required by Internal Revenue code, section 6050P to report this...

View more questions Search