Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Dual Status? What to file after H1B expired in '06
    I returned home from Boston, MA to Ireland on May 10th 2006. My H1B visa of 6 years had expired. I had filed my Federal & State taxes for the previous 5 years online.

My questions are:
    1) What forms do I need to file for federal tax return?
    2) Is there any software I can use to do this online?
    3) What forms do I need to file my MA tax return?
    4) Again can I do this online?

Many thanks,
    Peter.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Peter:

1) You need to file a expatriate dual-status return, a rather complex return.

2) To my knowledge, no software support is available for this return.

3) File as a part-year resident for MA.

4) No!

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 212 Answers ]

I am on H1B from June 1, 2004. I was on F1 until May 31, 2004 on OPT. I cleared the substantial presence test on H1 visa and stayed around 189 days in USA on H1 visa. While I was on my OPT (F1) I was self employed and received a 1099 MISC (non-employee compensastion). I guess I am a Dual -Status...

Dual Status? (F1 to H1B) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I hope someone can help me on this. I have been in the US for 3.5 years(still single); 2003.09~2006.1.2 on F1(including OPT)and 2006.01.03 ~ present on H1B. As you may have noticed, my H1B effective date was 2006.01.03. That means Jan.01 and Jan.02 I was still on OPT. Do I have to file as...

F1 -> H1B, resident/dual-status contradiction [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All. This is my first time in this forum. Though I have read a lot of the threads, this question is still controversial. I am on the same boat as a lot of the others. I was on OPT from June 27 to Sep 30, and on H1B from Oct 1 to Dec 31. However, there is a contradiction with the Sticky Note....

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I entered US as a student on Sept. 2001. I had income from Jan to May 31, 2005 as on OPT and income from June. 1 to the end of 2005 as on H1B. My husband is an international student holding F-1 visa but he does not pass the substantial presence criteria. We both come...

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, I was student in US since 2000 and in the middle of 2005 (end of Jun) I passed the substantial presence. I graduated by October and since then I am on H1-B. My wife is an international student holding F-1 visa but she does not pass the substantial presence criterion. I had...

View more questions Search