Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jurnee4498 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 10:38 PM
    At what age can a kid decide what parent to live with?
    If a parent is verbally abusive, can a 14 year old child choose to live with the other parent if they have joint custody?
    melissalynn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 11:25 PM
    Your court order will include those details. If you have joint custody, you will continue to have joint custody. If the child wants that changed, a judge must change the court order, until the child reaches the age of majority (18).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 20, 2011, 03:59 AM
    A child cannot choose. Only a court can make that decision. However, state laws vary on how much weight will be put on the child's preference.

If a change is wanted, the non custodial parent has to go to court to petition for a modification of the custody order.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2011, 05:21 AM
    As stated by Scott, no, a child can never just "choose" the other parent will have to go to court and prove that a change is needed. The child at 14 can normally testify as to what they want, but all other factors will be included in the court case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What age can a child decide which parent to live with? [ 1 Answers ]

My sisterhas been separated from her boyfriend for many years now,they have an 11yr old son who does not look forward to visiting his dad,what age can he decide not to visit any more

At what age can a child decide which parent to live with in the uk? [ 6 Answers ]

My 11 year old nephew is unhappy at home with mum and wants to live with his dad. He keeps running away as he says his mum doesn't listen to him. His mum is in a relationship where her partner does not spend time with the children and he is unhappy about a forthcoming marriage. His mum and dad...

What age do I have to be to decide what parent I want to live with? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 12 years old and I want to know if I can decide which parent to live with.

What age can she decide to live with parent? [ 2 Answers ]

My little sister is 16 will be 17 in November ( she is my step sister) she is living with her mother in Georgia, already has been raped, she is not take care of at all, she is doing bad in school , and is scared to death to be in the same house with her step-dad. Now, she has three other brother...

View more questions Search