Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2011, 03:44 AM
    Insurance Question Auto
    I had been with GEICO. I had a minor accident in 2009 June. I then switch to State Farm June 2011-Dec 2011
    For six months. Now My new State Farm policy for the next six months Dec 2011-June 2011 has a surtax because of the accident I had while under GEICO coverage. State Farm knew about the accident

I wondered why State Farm didn't charge me the surtax at the very beginning ? State Farm did not pay
    This claim it was GEICO who paid?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 18, 2011, 03:55 AM
    Ask your State Farm agent. If you sing out "Like a Good neighbor..." they should appear in front of you ;)

But seriously, since State Farm uses independent agents, ask them. Coverage costs are based on driving record. It doesn't matter whether the incidents occurred while you were covered under them they can still charge for it. The only question is why they didn't charge initially.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2011, 09:03 AM
    It's all about the driving record. This "increase" in premiums is not the least bit unusual. I changed companies when I married. The first renewal my premium was raised due to an accident which damaged my late husband's car - when he wasn't even IN the car.

Insurance makes up its own rules.

It's also entirely possible that it took some time to run your record OR your general neighborhood has had its rating changed OR you've moved from one age group to another.

(And, yes, I'd try singing the State Farm song. My preference is the song that plays when the dog is hiding his bone... but that's just me.)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
    SF should not be charging you the surcharge now for an accident that happened prior to you being insured with them, Have you gotten any traffic tickets in the meantime? When you apply for any auto insurance your accident history is open to all insurance companies who can access this information whether you tell them about the accidents or not.. You are given a risk rating at that time. If you did tell SF about this particular accident then they should not now be charging you the surcharge for this accident. Only if you had the accident while insured by SF should they be able to charge this surcharge. They are trying to pull a fast one on you and hope you don't call them on this.

Call up and complain, heavily.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2011, 02:39 PM
    I get the feeling they are surcharging based on his overall driving record. If you switch companies you carry the "points" with you. Each switch in insurance is not a clean slate.

Or am I missing something?
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2011, 04:42 PM
    I had the accident in 2009. A parked trailer truck was blocking my view at a stop sign
    I did creep out, But a senior citizen hit me. I had been with GEICO for 30 years
    But they still put a surcharge on me. Then I went to Allstate for six months with no surcharge.
    And then finally with State Farm. The first six months no surcharge. Then State Farm currently added the surcharge.
    Funny thing State Farm is still cheaper than the other carriers.Even with the surcharge.
    So I will stick with them for another six months.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 21, 2011, 04:45 PM
    Ummm did you forget what account you were logged in as?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2011, 06:05 PM
    I am sorry for a couple wrong answers, yes the extra charge is for accidents, it does not matter who paid the claim, if you had an at fault accident in the past, yes it can effect you with any company you move to. All of your past driving record, tickets, accidents plus your credit can effect your car rate.

If you did not put the accident down on your application, it is possible they did not pick up it at first and found it only latter after running a more complete record of your driving.

Also most companies routinely run DMV and credit reports on you to see if anything has changed that you did not tell them about.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I am sorry for a couple wrong answers, yes the extra charge is for accidents, it does not matter who paid the claim, if you had an at fault accident in the past, yes it can effect you with any company you move to. All of your past driving record, tickets, accidents plus your credit can effect your car rate.

If you did not put the accident down on your application, it is possible they did not pick up it at first and found it only latter after running a more complete record of your driving.

Also most companies routinely run DMV and credit reports on you to see if anything has changed that you did not tell them about.
    Like I said in my answer above, the insurer pulls all the prior claims and makes a determination ahead of time what to charge for the premiums. They just don't suddenly "discover" an accident and decide to add a surcharge then. When they gave the quote to the driver and bound the policy is when the "surcharge" would have been added on - not a year later by a different company. Even NAF accidents count against you but not as much as the AF accidents do.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2011, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

I have no idea why someone found this not to be helpful. I can't give you a "helpful" so, here, I'll give you moral support instead.

Did anyone suggest that OP (same person, 2 names?) ASK the insurance company about the increase - and the reason for the increase? It wouldn't be the first or last mistake made on a credit report, driving record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New auto insurance [ 6 Answers ]

I've been driving for two years now but only as an additional driver on my aunt and uncle's so my car insurance has been reasonably priced. But now I'm looking into buying a new car and even with all of the possible discounts my current insurance company (state farm) wants to nearly double that...

Auto Insurance [ 16 Answers ]

For someone that is 22 year-old, is having his the last semster in college ( Won't be a student after this semester)... what is the best auto insurance package? Is that a good idea to be part of my parents' policy? Can he still be part of his parents' policy? What will happen after he graduates in...

Auto Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

My 2007 Toyota Avalon was hit by another driver, and the damage is going to be above $5000. Would it be a good idea to ask for depreciation compensation? If so, how much. Thanks.

View more questions Search