Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper?
    Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction).

I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I am cutting out all the old copper and replacing it with cpvc, except for the copper stub outs.

Question is, do I still need to ground the stub outs, after all, the rest of the plumbing in the house is still copper. I was thinking I would bridge the stub outs and connect to my soon to be implemented grounding system. Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2007, 03:42 AM
    Any metal water lines, duct, any metal system in a home needs to be bonded to ground.

However, before connecting a ground wire to a utility gas line always check with that utility to see if they allow their gas lines to be grounded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper vs CPVC [ 4 Answers ]

What are the positives and negatives in using cpvc instead of using copper except for price

Copper to cpvc threaded connections [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can I connect cpvc threaded pipe adapters directly to corresponding male or female threaded copper adapters, and, using suitable pipe dope, get good reliable joints? I know there are threaded copper-to-glue cpvc conversion connectors available, but I have on hand a number of copper and cpvc...

CPVC v/s copper for new shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently installing a shower in my basement and everything has went smoothly so far. My question is, does it matter whether you use copper lines or CPVC line as the water feed lines on a new install? (By that I also mean between the shower head and the faucet) Most showers I've seen in...

CPVC vs copper [ 17 Answers ]

To me, CPVC sure seems easier. Just a simple glue process. Copper however, needs to be soldered. If I'm running water for a bathroom, why SHOULDN'T I use CPVC? Am I not allowed to put it enclosed in a wall? I have no experience with copper pipes, but having experience soldering electrical...

Replace copper with CPVC? [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower and plan to replace the esisting copper plumbing with CPVC, not just for the shower, but for the whole bathroom. Is there any problems associated with doing this? I am much more confident with CPVC than with sweating copper! Thanks

View more questions Search