Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AEP0083 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 09:47 PM
    Heat pumps
    Ihad a heat pump put in 6 months ago and it has froze up twice and the compresser had to be replaced. The contractor told me it was my reusable filter and having a humidifer on my furnace that made it freeze up. He then put a module on my furnace to shut down the compresser at 32 degreesto help it from not freezing up. Made me use paper thin air filters. Now he told me my duct work is not right. I need more return and add two output ducts. My old a.c. Unit worked fine. Shouldn't e have checked my duct work first?
    JonesHVAC Posts: 173, Reputation: 12

Oct 17, 2011, 06:33 AM
    Sounds to me like he doesn't know what he is doing or needs to make some money... A heat pump is usually, different for commercial, just a secondary form of heat and operates as your A/C does through your duct. Duct sizing has more to do with distribution of the proper CFM to each supply in order to heat/cool your home properly; also if the proper amount of return isn't supplied then it can "choke" the furnace and possibly cause damage to the heat exchanger and other parts in the long term. I suggest you call a reputable company to come and troubleshoot your problem, it may cost a bit more for the call and work but look at it this way: You can buy 4 $30 dollar pair of work boots a year or you can just spend the money on an $100 pair and by them every other... ;-)

Oct 19, 2011, 05:54 AM
    JonesHVAC: Thanks My A.C. man has been in business 35 yrs. Now he wants to charge me $400.00 to cute a hole in my living room floor 14x14 and take the two 6 inch intakes and make them outtake pipes. 4ton furnace/ and 3ton heat pump. My wife doesn't want holes in the floors. We have wall/floor vents that out of site. The hole would be in neck to the chimmey and 12 inches away from the wall. I asked him why he didn't check my duct work before he put the heat pump in and his answer was sometimes this happens. I told him if this was the case from the start ,then I would have had just a.C. unit put in.
    Should I tell him to take his heat pump out and just put a.C. unit in? All advice welcome.

Oct 19, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Putting a 14"x14" floor return in is highly out of the ordinary... Grills of that size can not hold the weight of an adult, even the reinforced ones. It creates a safety hazard and is not within Building Code. 35 Years of business you would think he knows what he is doing... or is it an employee representing him? I strongly suggest using another company based off your information.

Oct 21, 2011, 10:04 PM
    It is his brother who is part owner of the company. What do you think about me telling him to take the heat pump out and give me a.C. unit, since he is at fault for not evaluating my furnace before putting the pump in?

Oct 22, 2011, 11:36 AM
    It's worth a shot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emergency heat ruud heat pumps? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just bough a new house and it has a Ruud furnace and heat pump. The house was built in 1986 or so. On the thermostat I read heat and them Heat. What should it be set to? On heat only or Em Heat? Appreciate the advice.

Heat pumps in cold weather and using supplemental heat [ 2 Answers ]

Is it hard on a heat pump to use alternate heat source (kerosine heater,other) causing the heat pump to be off for long periods during the day and than allowing the unit to come on at night?

Heat Pumps [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know why a heat pump would go into standby mode? If so, how can I repair it?

Heat pumps [ 3 Answers ]

What does the emergency heat do on a heat pump?

View more questions Search