Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gehlbach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 01:45 PM
    Pump lost prime and overheated motor runs but does not pump is the pump fried
    Over night the pump lost primed and melted the sched. 40 fittings I replaced all the fittings and cannot get pump to prime the motor runs is it possible that the propeller was damaged from the heat?//
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2011, 06:42 PM
    Just to be clear, when you prime the pump, you should be able to remove the primer plug and pour in water until it overflows. When you stop, it should hold that water level in the impeller cage without the level dropping. You replace the plug and start your pump. Is that what you are doing?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2011, 07:09 PM
    Jliisenbe gave you good instructions on how to prime your pump. Great if the pump will hold prime and not let it drain back down into the well. If it won't hold prime the first thing I would check is the foot/check valve. It it's OK I would check for a leak in the suction line. Do not allow the pump to run dry for long periods. Good luck Tom
    gehlbach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 04:17 AM
    It holds water when I cut the pump on the motor runs I took the primer plug out while the pump was running
    And the water just sets there?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
    Sounds like your pump is bad. I'd pull the cover off the impeller and take a look, especially if it got hot enough to melt plastic fittings.

If it just lost prime out of nowhere, then something had to cause that. That part is a little strange. It might be that the plastic fitting developed a crack or break that allowed the pump to lose prime. When it overheated, then that finished the plastic. Hard to say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My pump at the cottage lost its prime while we were away [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, so our pump lost its prime and I can't figure out why. Its just a 1" line going to the bottom of a 25' well for a cottage. I replaced the pump with all new lines. Once I prime it, all it will pump is what ever I am putting in. It will not draw from the well. When I replaced the line in the...

2 line shallow well pump runs but won't prime? [ 1 Answers ]

Have check all fittings got a new foot checked holding tank been working on it for 3 days running out of ideas help

How to prime the pump for a well that serves a geothermac heat pump [ 0 Answers ]

The power went off for a while this afternoon. When it came back on... the pump had lost it's prime... how do I prime the work to get my air conditioning on again?

Well pump lost prime [ 6 Answers ]

Yesterday I had no water so I shut off the pump.noticed the inlet pipe from well was leaking.so I fixed it .I'm trying to prime the pump.iopened the bolt on top about 5 times.I have low water pressure but my tank feels empty.the air pressure on the tank reads 30lbs.how long do I have to wait for my...

View more questions Search