Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcdans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2011, 05:10 AM
    Word problem involving ages
    Edwin is four times as old as Joshua. In 12 years, Joshua's age will be half that of Edwin's. How old are they?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2011, 07:02 AM
    Assign variables to their age.

Let the age of Edwin be e and that of Joshua be j.
    Edwin is 4 times as old as Joshua;
    e = 4j

You need to multiply Joshua's age by 4 to get them to equal each other.

In 12 years, Joshua's age will be half that of Edwin.
    (e+12) = 2(j+12)

Does that make sense?

Can you post back with your answer? It is just a matter of simultaneous equations :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age problems with solutions? [ 1 Answers ]

Half of Henry's age added to 1/3 of Daisy's age is 11 years. Six years from now, the sum of their ages will be 40 years. How old is each?

Age problems [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me answering this age problem.. Tnx.. This is the question : Mr. Parabola, a mathematics teacher was traveling by bus with his family consisting of his mother,wife,son and daughter. The bus conductor doubting the sons right to have a half-fare of ticket asked. "how old is your...

Age problems with solutions? [ 9 Answers ]

Jason is now three times as old as Helston.Three years from now,Jason will be six times as old as Helston one year ago. Find their age. ... can you help me?

Age problems [ 2 Answers ]

Could anybody help me out with this? I keep on trying this problem but end up with the wrong answer each time. Mark is 10 years younger than Larry. Larry's age 8 years from now will exceed twice Mark's age 3 years ago by 4 years. How old is each now?

Names of forums of expert answerers [ 2 Answers ]

What is the relationship between the askmehelp site and the old askme site, which went commercial? What other sites are there in which experts answer questions?

View more questions Search