Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mynamesryan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 12:03 PM
    Problems with home schooling
    'Hi I'm a 15 year old home school student ,and I have been attending of school for 10 years until January of 9Th grade. When my mother took me out of school I was devastated. She told me that she was putting me in school in August of this year, then she changed the date to January and thought it was funny when we were discussing the issue. I am supposed to be a 10Th grader currently at the moment but I doubt that. My mother works everyday of the week and all I do is do assignments she gives me right before she goes to work. And during the day and watch t.v. which really rottens my brain. I am a very talented vocalist and pianist and I want to attend NYU , HOWARD UNIVERSITY, OR JULLIARD. I do not believe I will attend those schools at all if I continue the path I'm on now. Please someone explain to my mother that in my case public school is the correct choice for me. You can reach me at <removed>.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2011, 07:10 PM
    First I moved your post, you placed your question as a answer to someone else question that was over 3 years old.

I want to ask you why do you think that being home schooled can hurt your goals ? What was your mom's reason for taking you out of school.

In general when done properly, home school kids will out perform those that go to public school.

So why are you watching TV and not looking up and learning from material available on the internet.

First has your mom made a plan, lessons, tests, will you be taking annual tests like the CAT test ?

Are you study your music for several hours a day ( instead of turning the TV on )
    mynamesryan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2011, 09:02 PM
    My mother's lesson plan is inadequete. I'm behind the other 10th graders. She doesn't know the curriculum and yes I do practice on my music theory often. But I need classes to take in high school in order to achieve my goals. I'm surely not taking CAT because I'm not learning the proper materials. I'm still doing work from 9th grade. And my mother took me out because out I got suspended for ripping a page out a book, but it was only for one day. She didn't know anything about home school then, and she doesn't know much about it now. No one is available to give me proper teaching as I would have in school since she works from 6am - 7pm EVERYDAY. Maybe you just have to be in the situation to understand.
    Colt_Prattes Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
    I guess home schooling is quite difficult to continue as you never succeed in making a routine for your studies. If you have internet, you can grab your books and search the videos on YouTube. That will help you a lot. However, for home schooling, you need to follow a routine strictly. Regularity is the only success to home schooling.
    LadyToni Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Jul 8, 2012, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt_Prattes View Post
    I guess home schooling is quite difficult to continue as you never succeed in making a routine for your studies. If you have internet, you can grab your books and search the videos on youtube. That will help you a lot. However, for home schooling, you need to follow a routine strictly. Regularity is the only success to home schooling.
    There are lots of different ways to have success in home schooling. If the student in question was in a public school for years as was this young lady, then yes a structured lesson plan may indeed be in order. However after homeschooling my son since Pre-K and he is going into 8th grade this year, I can honestly tell that home schooling doesn't have just one face. Yes, we use texts and workbooks, but we also use field trips and don't have to stick to a rigid plan daily.

If the work that your mom leaves for you isn't addressing all that you feel you should be working on I suggest that you find out the requirements for your public schooled piers School Box or a similar store will have test prep books covering what you need for each grade. Once you and your mom find that out work on what you need to learn. Try getting private lessons in the things that you are interested in. As a former piano teacher, I did give discounts to home schooled students who could take lessons when other kids can't. My son tells me what he is interested in studying. Some things aren't up for debate, math, English, required courses. However the extras like music conducting, learning to play the different instruments allow students that are home schooled to excel.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home schooling [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone give me some information on homeschooling. I live in Chicago,IL. I'm looking for home schools. The high schools here in the city are very bad. The school that pertains to my district is one of the worst. I don't want to send my boys to that school. I think they are better off home...

Schooling problems. [ 7 Answers ]

My 10yr old son has learning disabilities, adhd & a complex cardiac condition, he is behind developmentally due to long term hospital stays he is currently in an assisted needs base in a mainstream school, he was removed from his 1st primary school because they couldn't cope with his behaviour,...

Home schooling in the UK [ 2 Answers ]

Hi :o Does anyone have any information about home schooling in the UK. Does a parent need to be qualified to teach

Home Schooling [ 2 Answers ]

Can you create you, your own Home Study program ?

View more questions Search