Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spencer07 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Baby is 4`1/2 weeks in growth and I thought I was 6 weeks
    Hello,
    I am a new wife of 6 months with an amazing husband... we recently in August had a miscarriage and now became pregnant again... here's the thing... My last period was on dec 22nd and I am NOT regular.. between 32-39 day cycles... I had an ultra sound today and it said my baby was only about 4 1/2 weeks in growth... but I thought I was 6 and a half weeks into it because of my lat perooid DATE... I ovulated on Jan 16th... took two test on jan 28th and both were positive but a week before I took 2 and were negative... anyone think I am only 4 1/2 weeks pregnant and I should beokay?? Please help I'm scared.. I did blood tests and I will find out wed after I do one more blood test... im scared because we want this so bad and can't go through another miscarriage... any help please or wisdom...
    Scared parents to be
    spencer07
    jinksie54 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Hiya Spencer07,

All I would say is that you've been through enough, relax a little. The difference between 4.5 weeks and 6.5 weeks is really nothing to worry about. The fact is that you are pregnant and right now after all you and your husband have been thro a little happiness is just what the doctor ordered. So go along with what the experts say. A little further on and you will get a "dating scan" that will give you more idea of what's really going on in there. Worrying isn't going to help.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Also, they could have been referring to the age of the fetus, and not how far along you are. The baby's growth is actually two weeks behind what you consider to be your actual dates. That is because you are already two weeks pregnant before you even conceive. Here, let me copy and paste a section of info on this from " babiesonline.com " it explains it better. " A full term pregnancy lasts 40 weeks (280 days), broken down into 13-week trimesters, starting from the first day of your last menstrual period. That's right, you haven't even conceived in what physicians consider to be the first two weeks of pregnancy. You might as well get used to this idea now: Your first day of pregnancy is the first day of your last menstrual period. Ovulation usually occurs two weeks after that, and most women conceive during that time. So as if thinking you may be growing a human being inside of you isn't confusing enough, you are already two weeks pregnant on the day you conceive!" perhaps this is what they meant by being only 4 1/2 weeks preggy, when you think you are 6 1/2. However, since your periods are irregular, it is not unusual for your dates to be a little more iffy. And as it is early on in this pregnancy, it may be harder to determine. As you get farther along, they will lbe able to get more definite dates. Besides, your estimated due date is just that. And estimate. Everyone woman and every baby is different and on their own timelines. Don't stress, you're doing the best you can, and that is all a mommy can do. ;0)good look and best wishes.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 6, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Okay here is how it works:

Conception: 1) The beginning of pregnancy, usually taken to be the instant that a spermatozoon enters an ovum and forms a viable zygote. 2) The act or process of fertilization. 3) the act or process of creating an idea or notion. 4) the idea or notion created; a general impression resulting from the interpretation of a symbol or set of symbols.

Pregnancy: the gestational process, comprising the growth and developemnt within a woman of a new individual conception through the embryonic and fetal periods to birth. Pregnancy lasts approximately 266 days (38 weeks) from the day of fertilization; but it is clinically considered to last 280 days (40 weeks; 10 lunar months; 9 1/3 calendar months) from the first day of the last menstrual period. The expected date of delivery EDD is calculated on the latter basis even if a woman's periods are irregular. Of the millions of ejaculated sperm cells thousands reach the female ovum in the outer end of the fallopian tube, and female pronuclei and conception begins.

Conceptional Age: In fetal development the number of weeks since conception. Because the exact time of conception is difficult to getermine, conceptional age is assumed to be 2 weeks less than gestational age.

I believe Conceptional Age is what Buggage is referring to.

It also may be that baby is measuring small (4 1/2 weeks) for your 6 weeks of pregnancy.

All of the above info was obtained from Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professionals 7th Edition.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Yes, I am referring to the fact that doctors count the beginning of your pregnancy 2 weeks before the actual conception of your baby. So you have the date that is from the beginning of your last period(which is the date they figure your due date with) and the second date is the date from which your baby was actually conceived, which is two weeks after the first day of your period.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 6, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Yes, that clears it up much better. Buggage is right, they count from the first day of your last period, of course you were not pregnant while on your period, so this is just an Estimated Delivery Date, or EDD.

They will know more when baby grows more and the can do measurements by ultrasound. That is far more accurate than the "educated guess" that the doctor must do in the beginning.

Feb 8, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer07
    Hello,
    I am a new wife of 6 months with an amazing husband...we recently in august had a miscarriage and now became pregnant again..... heres the thing... My last period was on dec 22nd and i am NOT regular..between 32-39 day cycles.... i had an ultra sound today and it said my baby was only about 4 1/2 weeks in growth...but i thought i was 6 and a half weeks into it b/c of my lat perooid DATE........i ovulated on Jan 16th......took two test on jan 28th and both were positive but a week before i took 2 and were negative...anyone think i am only 4 1/2 weeks pregnant and i should beokay??? please help im scared..i did blood tests and i will find out wed after i do one more blood test...im scared because we want this so bad and can't go thru another miscarriage...any help please or wisdom...
    scared parents to be
    spencer07
    Thanks to you all for writing... I find out today since I took two blood samples... my first one was 8000 which is not good because I should have hear the heartbeat by then:( so now we just wait... were just very upset and don't even know what to do this will be m/c # 2 in less than 6 months... is there any possible way I'm okay and baby?? I should get a call anytime now... wish us luck*
    spencer07
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2007, 07:52 AM
    I hope all is well. I am afraid this is a question that only your doctors can answer. You have my prayers. But just so you know, many women have miscarriages without even knowing it(because they don't even suspect pregnancy yet, or only slightly late and haven't even suspected pregnnacy yet) I must admit that I don't know much about miscarriages, but I can tell you that my aunt had several(probably 4-6) but she also still had 11 normal pregnancies. That's right 11. Haha. So don't lose hope. Your doctors can work closely with you on this, and help you understand what is going on, and what can be done to help. Best of wishes, and good luck.

Feb 9, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Yeah but thenthing is is I saw the sac and such on the ultrasound we just didn't see a heartbeat... we go the 14th to see what's going on my level is at 14000 now and Monday it was 8000 so it doubled in 2 days which is a plus... we just don't know what to think... I can't sleep and now its going to be valentines day ewhen we either are the happiest people ever or the most upset... goodness I don't knowe what to do*
    Spencer07
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Hun, since your levels are still rising, there is some hope there. Perhaps it is just too early, or bad possitioning, to see baby's heartbeat. I know it must be very hard for you right now. Just try not to stress too much(I know that is terrible advice) as stress isn't good for mommy or baby. You have my prayers. I hope that v-day turns out to be a good one for you all. Please take care, and if you ever need to chat, I get on here every day. Sometimes it just helps to be able to talk about things.
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Good luck tomarrow at your appointment hun.

Feb 13, 2007, 10:34 AM
    So now... my level is 30000 which has been doubling every two days... its probably higher now because I got the result from Saturday... anyhow... my progesterone level is 15.1 which is awesome so tomorrow we go for the ultrasound... wish us luck... everything seems okay now.. I really hope so.. what does everyone else think??
    spencer07
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Yes, this is a very good sign that it keeps rising like this. Let us know how it goes tomarrow. I'm eager to hear. Good luck, you have my prayers
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2007, 02:37 PM
    How did the ultrasound go, what did you find out??
    darklittledezzi Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Aug 10, 2012, 11:54 AM
    I recently miscarried and was told that it is best to not try to conceive again until at least 6-9 months have passed since because you are at a higher risk for another miscarriage. After a miscarriage you still have certain hormones and different hormone levels that will indicate that you are still pregnant, when you are in fact not. That's probably why you thought you were 6 weeks but only were about 5 weeks. I did the same thing. It'll be okay. Keep your head held high

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just had baby 8 weeks ago, could I be pregnant again? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello there, Just had a quick question. I just had a baby 8 weeks ago. I still haven't got my period yet, I did have sex 4 days ago and then again 3 days ago. Of course silly us we didn't use any protection. I started to bleed after having sex and I'm still bleeding now. Not really like a...

11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks? [ 8 Answers ]

I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage. I am waiting...

12 weeks along [ 20 Answers ]

Well I haven't been on recently. I've been working a lot and been really tired. I went to my dr. appt today and heart the babies heartbeat. It sounded so far away... lol... He said that my uterus was big for just 12 weeks and ordered an ultra sound. He said that there were three reasons that this...

5 weeks [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first pregnancy. I found out that I am 5 weeks, (3 weeks Gestation) Does that mean I am already in my 2nd month? Or when do I officially begin my 2nd month? Im kind of confused! Kellie

5 weeks maybe? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I'm pg or not I took at test on the 17th but it was negative so I'm going to take one this week { I have early pg signes} if I am pg I'm 5wks this week and it seems that my boobs are getting bigger one more then the other at the moment lol and my tummy seems bigger to?...

View more questions Search