Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notfail Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 08:07 AM
    We are going through the same thing. My husband worked at a Children's Home for 22 years and was fingerprinted and passed (They didn't have Life Scan when he started.) Then, later had to do a lifescan . He passed. Now, he was accepted on at another children's home. There is something about the FBI check. Of course, they will not tell him what it is yet and the location is trying to find out what. He is in jeopardy in losing the job, which our family needs. HE HAS A CLEAN RECORD!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Do you have question?
    polmos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
    I was denied employment today for the same thing. The school district said I hid information because I did not reveal that I had an expunged record. As far as I was concerned, that should not even count nor does it have to be mentioned. I think I need to see a lawyer...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by polmos View Post
    I was denied employment today for the same thing. The school district said I hid information because I did not reveal that I had an expunged record. As far as I was concerned, that should not even count nor does it have to be mentioned. I think I need to see a lawyer...

What was the question? Have you ever been arrested or something else?

I see this a lot - people are asked, "Have you ever been arrested? If so, what was the outcome?" They say "no" if they've been arrested and the record was expunged - and they are either fired or not hired for lying.

I agree. It's a two-edged sword.

Similar questions are posted frequently, and the AMHD "regulars" say the same thing - "Tell the truth, no matter how painful it is." This is also asked on licensing boards. Same thing. "Ever been arrested?" Person answers no, expunged record is revealed, end of that job.

Different companies order different background checks. Burger King, for example, doesn't order the same depth that a school district asks for.

Perhaps you have a lawsuit if you can prove discrimination - other people with expungements have been hired. You weren't.

But it's going to all come down to the original question. What was it?

I get upset when I hear of these cases because Attorneys don't mention that a background check can and does reveal the arrest and expungement, particularly for civil service jobs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Live Scan results rejected... prior misdemeanor expunged under 1203.4 [ 2 Answers ]

I had a prior misdemeanor when I was 19 in the state of CA. It has been expunged under 1203.4. I recently got live scanned by an employer and the results came back as rejected. Is there anything I can do to have my results come back as "cleared"?

FBI finger print check? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you challenge or add an explanation to an FBI finger print report? I have done some reading about contacting the originating agency, but the actual offence, a misdemeanour, happened over 26 years ago. Which means it is no longer showing in their system. I am having difficulty finding out who...

Do background checks only check conviction or also arrests. [ 3 Answers ]

Do background checks look only at convictions or also arrests.

I was wondering what exactly show up on a live scan fingerprint background check? [ 2 Answers ]

What specifically shows up on a live scan fingerprinting background check? I would like to apply to nursing school and this is the form of background check that is required. I was charged with theft and these charges are dismissed. I do not have a felony or misdemenour* on my record. Does this...

Will a military background check show up on a civilian criminal background check? [ 2 Answers ]

Will a military background check show up on a civilian background check?

View more questions Search