Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 09:23 PM
    Social security survivors benefits versus own
    If a person is already collecting social security retirement benefits from their own contributions and their husband dies, do they get an increase as a wife's survivor benefits if the husband had been paying into social security from his job? They each had their own jobs and each fully paid into social security.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 05:12 AM
    Generally no - you don't receive both survivor's benefits and your own retirement benefits at the same time. However, you may be able to start collecting full survivors benefits at an earlier age than you can receive full benefits based on your own contributions, and then switch later on to your own benefits. This can have the advantage of allowing you to start collecting earlier without diminishing your payouts later on. I suggest that you contact the SSA to have them provide you with the details for your specific situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security disability,unemployment and social security [ 2 Answers ]

I got approved for ssdi but got disapproved for ssi because my unemployment can I later get ssi after my unemployment is finished?:(

Social Security [ 4 Answers ]

I have been asked by my adult daughter for my ex Social Security #. I asked her why? She said for college. Hm I don't think I'm obligated to give her that information?

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Social Security [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everybody, Okey so Can I get my social security card from any state? Can I just go to any social security office... Mines was stolen and I just want to know if I could apply for it back even if I'm not in my home town?

View more questions Search