Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tahnee1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 06:35 PM
    Guinea pig pregnancy
    Hey, I have 2 female guinea pigs that are pregnant, we found out that they were pregnant after we got them. One of them is around 9-10 months, and it's her first time so were abit worried about that one. The other is about 3, she has given birth to 2 litters before but I've read some websites and they say you shouldn't breed them if they're over 2-3 years of age, and you should breed them for the first time before they're 7months. We're also concered that they haven't had them yet, we've had them for 9weeks now.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
    I am far from a guinea expert but I have done some searching for you come up with some sites you will hopefully find helpful.
    It seems guineas can go up to 70 days some even longer so they should not be far from giving birth if they were already pregnant when you purchased them.

Pregnant Guinea Pigs

Home-Breeding Guinea Pigs
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Oct 13, 2011, 11:58 PM
    Another baby fact that may surprise you is that newborn Guinea Pigs are ready and able to eat lettuce(and other things) right after birth, and are HUGE when born.
    StephieMellark Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 12:18 AM
    It's okay guinea pigs are able to breed at 6 weeks but it is recommended for them to breed beyond 6 months, no need to worry if you think the younger guinea pig will be unable to care for her young because it's a natural instinct for them, if it is her first litter you may need to step in from time to time to make sure that they are being fed.
    UK Apple Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 03:08 AM
    Guinea pigs should not be bred for the first time after they are sixmonths old asthere hips will set and they will (probably) not be able to give birth properly which can be fatal to the sow and pups. Also please don't feed lettuce as guinea pigs are allergic and ice-burg lettuce could kill them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my guinea pig pregnant help [ 8 Answers ]

Help I think my guinea pig is pregnant with a rabbit baby and no one can say that can not happen but my guinea pig was not pregnant when I had her and I only have one male rabbit and I've seen people who have had this happen with guinea pig or rabbit and had pics that was proof that it can happen...

New Guinea Pig [ 9 Answers ]

Hey everyone. So aylas special buy from our tax return was a pet guinea pig. She wanted a kitten but we can't have pets except caged animals, and I didn't want a bunny so she picked a guinea pig. We got him on Friday, he is healthy and clean. But he is still simply hiding under his...

Guinea Pig [ 5 Answers ]

My guinea pig is always pooing( seriously) if I want to hold him I have to have a paper towel on my lap. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guinea Pig [ 3 Answers ]

Yeh I had 2 male guinea pigs and 1 died they were just over 1 and I'm not sure what to do because I no the other 1 s v.lonely someone said I should have it put down I'm not sure if I buy a new one would they fight?

Guinea pig issue [ 8 Answers ]

I would like your opinion please read and let me know what you think Most of you know me and I am always talking about my guinea pig rescue or my pets or my daughter, well recently, we took part in a huge rescue, I will post the article so if you all wanted to read it you could A seizure of...

View more questions Search