Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaisam Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 03:01 PM
    What is My Filing Status? Married or Single?
    Can somebody Advice

Here's my scenario:

I went to India in December 2006 and got married but my wife came to US only on January 12, 2007.
    What status should I file for the year 2006?

Single (or) Married filing joint (even if only one had income) (or)
    Married filing separately (or) Head of Household ?

My Visa status is H1 and wife is on H4 Visa.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 5, 2007, 04:19 PM
    It depends when the marriage was registered in your home country - it may or may not be the same date, you'll have to check.
    thound Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Afaik , It doesn't matter when your wife got here. If you were married as of Dec 31, 2006 , your filing status is married joint (or separate, if you wish).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2007, 11:59 PM
    Agreed. If you are married on 31 Dec 06, you are married for the entire year.

How long were you an H-1 in the U.S.?
    jaisam Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 05:43 AM
    Thanks for all your Answers!

I got Registered my Marriage on December 11th in India. I have been in US on H1B since January 2005. And I filed my Tax Resturn Last year as Single.

Please advice me what is best option since my wife does not have any income in India. (Should I need to show any proof for that)

With Regards
    Daniel
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Daniel:

If she had no income, you have no requirement to prove that fact.

I have done multiple postings over the past three weeks explaining in detail the process of applying for an ITIN and filing jointly with your wife. Please review them.

BOTTOM LINE: You CAN file jointly with your wife in 2006.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married status eligibility for filing Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got married on 22nd January, 2006 and my wife came to usa first time on 29th November 2006. I have couple of question for you regarding tax filing status? 1. Can I file as "married filing jointly", as she arrived here on 29th Nov. 2. How can I get her Tax ID number as she is here on...

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

Got married- what's my Filing Status ? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, Below is my situation.Your advice is greatly appreciated. I hold a valid H1b Visa and was working in US from june2004. I left US on August 2'nd 2006. I got married on August 27'th 2006 and never returned back to US and my wife never visited US before. So she doesn't have a SSN. My...

Single or married [ 1 Answers ]

Dear tax expert, Both my girlfriend and I get a job in US. I hold H1-B visa, and she holds J1 visa. Both of our annual income will be about $35000. How much tax should we pay if we stay single or get married. Thank you very much! Regards, Chipeng

Married non-resident-am I single for state return? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I am Canadian and non-resident but married to another non-resident. For Federal tax, I am Married resident of Canada. What am I for state return? If I file State as Married filing separately, they want me to pay a lot. Can I claim I am single for State? I am filing two...

View more questions Search