Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    balsak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 05:24 AM
    H1b Visa Holder - spouse and Kid in India
    I am a H1b Visa Holder in USA from March 2006 ,Spouse and Kid joined me in Oct 2006
    On H-4 Visa.Both got their ITIN nos.They left for India in May 2007 and continued to stay there through out 2007 & 2008.They Came back to USA in 2009.
    I have filed Married filing jointly for Year 2006 and claimed Child Tax Credit
    And continued to file Married filing jointly & claimed Child Tax Credit
    For year 2007 and 2008.Do you see any issues with 2007 and 2008 with the filings for 2007 and 2008, since they were in India.
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 07:29 AM
    Yes, I DEFINITELY see an issue.

Your children are NOT U.S. citizens, so you are NOT allowed to claim them as dependents on your U.S. tax return if they are NOT PHYSICALLY PRESENT in the U.S. for at least one day in the tax year.

Based on your post, you filed improperly for the 2008 tax return.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Oct 13, 2011, 07:53 AM
    Totally agree with AtlantaTaxExpert

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Returns for L1A Visa Holder with spouse & 3years Kid [ 7 Answers ]

Raj: I am Raj from India entered and working in US from Aug '06 through L1A visa. My spouse(not working) & kid(less than 3 years) joined me in Oct '06 through L2 visa. This is our first visit to US. I have a SSN but my spouse and Kid do not have SSN. I need to file my returns for 2006...

Tax for H1B Holder from India [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B from India. I am with my wife and a son. My questions are: Que : 1) How many allowances I can file for. I have counted 6 allowances as below from column mentioned below of the W-4 form. A) A Enter “1” for yourself if no one else can claim you as a dependent . --- 1

H1B holder that married a US Citizen. Is H1B visa still good? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know if after I apply for my conditional green card, I can still used my H1b to travel outside the US.

Can I work as a spouse of an H1B visa holder? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I work in the U.S. as a spouse of an H1B Visa Holder??

Tax payable in US from online income in India for an H1B visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on an H1B visa in the US. If I have additional income from online consultancy work that is being generated in India that is subject to TDS (tax deducted at source) in India, do I have to report that income to the IRS here in the US for tax purposes? Thanks

View more questions Search