Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2011, 04:55 PM
    Summary
    The plot centers on a very quiet and intense movie stunt driver, mechanic and occasional getaway driver played by Ryan Gosling. His best friend, in Bryan Cranston's beautifully-acted character, owns a repair shop and always seems to be on the wrong end of every deal in life.

Befriending a beautiful female neighbor, he begins to consider opening himself up to getting involved with other people - until - her husband is released from prison.

Gosling's character becomes involved in her husband's mess and the story takes off like a muscle car barreling down the Pacific Coast Highway.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2011, 04:55 PM
    Should You See It?
    All too often, movie critics have their agreed upon movie darlings, (the movies, directors or actors they love blindly), and end up outdoing themselves in describing how incredible the experience was for them.

This flick is in that category, and, amazingly, it actually stands on its own "four wheels" making it a critical darling AND a good movie for anyone to go see.

The film's director, Danish born Nicolas Winding Refn, is able to straddle the fence between art film sensibilities and commercial viability, combined with a crime noir vibe all held together by the strong acting talents of Ryan Gosling and the amazing supporting actors orbiting him.

Albert Brooks as a bad guy? Incredible. He pulls it off with ease. The camera looking up at Brook's mug as he casually explains how someone will be dead shortly. Watching the "King of Satire" slither around on screen as an unrepentant Crime Boss is pure cinematic joy.

Bryan Cranston, breaking out all over the place thanks to his iron clad performances on AMC's "Breaking Bad", is simply sublime as the broken shady guy who always seems to be on the wrong side of things in life, always looking for that quick turnaround.

Carey Mulligan delivers a nuanced performance as the wife of an excon who has become comfortable having her husband locked up as she raises their child. While still loving her husband, she effortlessly conveys the turmoil building up inside her as she doubts his ability to be a positive influence in their lives.

The violence is extreme and sudden. In some ways, it reminded me of "Reservoir Dogs", a movie most Tarantino fanatics point to as the ultimate Quentin-blood-bath. The difference here is the violence in "Drive" is used as punctuation in the story as it unfolds, rather than a gory display simply to entertain.

The violence is used to demonstrate character and the development of story. You will be shocked, but you are supposed to be. That is the point.

This movie is on my Top 10 list of Best Picture Oscar Nominees for 2011, and, I believe if it doesn't receive the Best Picture nod, its director, Gosling and Cranston should all be up for wins.

It is a very strong R rating for nothing more than very graphic violence and language. A very visceral story from a bunch of great artists. See it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie Review: "Contagion" [ 2 Answers ]

This movie's biggest problem, commercially, was ineffective marketing. To this day, there are people I talk to about this movie who still think it is a zombie flick. If it were a zombie movie, I wouldn't be inclined to pay the $12 for more of the same, but, this was a horror movie of a different...

How we review boiler pressure parts detail drawing review/read [ 0 Answers ]

How we review boiler pressure parts detail drawing review/read

We Want a Movie Review Website. In North Carolina [ 8 Answers ]

This is basically a fun business prospect for my fiancé and I. We're huge movie fans and would literally see every movie coming out if we could. Not to mention the constant rentals we go through... we range from B-flicks to Z-flicks. But, personally we despise movie critics in general. They...

Movie review needed [ 3 Answers ]

Hey has anyone seen Surf's Up or Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer... I'm tired of paying expensive prices for movies that suck.

Freedom to Facism movie review [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone see this movie yet? Can anyone give a review of this movie? Do you have any thoughts on this? Dear Readers: "Oh, my, I had no idea!"

View more questions Search