Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zvezdast Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Head of the household status
    I bought a house in Jan 2006 as primary residence. My brother also lives there, but he doesn't pay any rent or expenses (not even for food). I was wondering if I could claim 'head of the household' status based on him? I claimed it last year when we lived in apartment, but he didn't work for the entire 2005 year.
    He is on F1 visa, age 28, and has earned $10K in 2006. I tried to follow the instructions on how to figure out the status, but it seems that since I cannot claim him as dependent any more ( since he earned more than 3300) that I cannot be head of the household. Am I missing something? Can't I get some tax break for providing all the living expenses for him? (all his income goes toward tuition)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2007, 11:26 PM
    No, he made too much money for you to claim him as a dependent, and thus he is NOT a qualifying person for Head of Household.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

Deduction mistake [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I did not realize I could take my business mileage off my taxes last year. Can I redo my taxes for the previous year and include my mileage or do I have to live with the mistake?

Rental Deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! Can a H1B holder claim deduction for rent ? Also can they claim for job miles ? My tax consultant is saying that a H1B holder can claim both rent and job miles deductions. Please let me know. Thanks a lot for your help. Chandra.

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search