Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2011, 04:12 AM
    Brownish (looks like dark bruise) line under toenail.
    About 6 months ago my wife got what appeared to be a bruise under her big toenail.

It was right at the cuticle line and extended into the toenail only about 1/8th of an inch.

Oddly, it's still there.

There is no pain.

What could this be?

Thanks!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 12, 2011, 04:35 AM
    Probably is just that, a bruise, a break of a blood vessel. It could mean nothing or it could bear watching and mentioning to her doctor at her next visit. We don't know her general health. If she is overweight, diabetic, has high BP, any heart or vascular problems, or even seemingly unrelated medical complaints, she should see someone about it sooner.
    current pert

Oct 12, 2011, 04:37 AM
    I forgot to say that bruises under nail beds do stay much longer than under other tissue.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2011, 04:50 AM
    She is 5'2", 125#
    No health issues.

Isn't it odd, though, that the bruise does not "move" forward toward the end of the toe?
    current pert

Oct 12, 2011, 05:21 AM
    No, just because a nail does doesn't mean the underlying bruise does.
    I had a tiny round bruise under by big toenail, near a front corner, for years, and it seemed associated with pain I had, but the pain had been there for years before.

It turned out to be referred all the way down from the sacral nerve, which starts at the sacro-iliac bone and wraps around to the front of the abdomen. From there other nerves referred it down my inner thigh all the way to my toe, which mainly just felt very cold. (A neurologist told me not possible because no one single nerve goes all the way, duh.) I never did know why I got a little blood vessel break in my toe. I wouldn't say I saw a lot of doctors in 30+ years but it seemed like it, and not one had a clue (one tried to tell me the bruise was a mole under the nail). Anyway, I finally got the right diagnosis from a chiropractor. But that's neither here nor there in your case. What I am saying though is don't expect an easy diagnosis, if you even get one. Doctors don't get worried about bruises unless there are other problems they can relate it to.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2011, 08:37 AM
    Thank you, all. We will not worry about it, then, since there are no apparent side effects.

We're both 48 years young, so we'll just chalk this up as one of the oddities that come along with age.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 12, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Did she drop something on her toe?

It could take as long as a year or more for this to disappear.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Did she drop something on her toe?

It could take as long as a year or more for this to disappear.
    She insists that she never dropped anything on it or injured it any other way that might cause a bruise. It's just something that she noticed one time when she was changing her toenail polish.

She DOES bruise easily, though... so maybe she did drop something on it but just forgot about it.

We'll not worry about it, but I'll encourage her to bring it up next time she goes in for her annual stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dark brownish discharge ! [ 0 Answers ]

I'm 25 years old, and my last period was (july 30) . I got some brown discharge on 24th August then stopped and today also got few drops of brownish discharge, I have not yet noticed blood! What is wrong with me? I'm virgin. I'm taking iron tablets prescribed by the doctor for 2 months ,last month...

Dark brownish/reddish discharge. No because. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not on birth control. I had my period, which started earlier than normal, with heavy cramps that I usually don't have. It ended over a week ago and I've had this discharge ever since... What is causing it? :(

Dark bruise like marks on face [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dark bruise like mark on my fae that comes and goes. I have never been hit there. What is causing it and how can I get rid of it.

Dark brownish red to light brown hair [ 1 Answers ]

I have got just past the shoulder length dark brownish red hair at the mo ,My natural colour hair is aurban with some grey I've been dying it now for many years but its got to a time in my life where I just want a change I want to get rid of this dark colour and mybe go lighter mousey brown with...

View more questions Search