Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2011, 10:58 AM
    using SPSS
    I had to create a survey for a class of mine. All of the responses were recorded using Google docs. From Google docs I had to export everything to excel. And then from excel I imported (or exported?) everythng into SPSS.

I was able to recode all of the original responses (i.e. male=1, female=2, etc) the way the teacher wanted us to. And now there's a few items from the scales I used that need reverse scoring (1 becomes 5, 2 becomes 4, etc.) before I can score the scales. But I keep running into problems when I try to reverse score my newly recoded variables.

The first error I got was that SPSS said I could only recode string variables. So I changed the numeric data to be labeled as string data and tried again. When I tried to recode into the same variable nothing happened, no changes. And when I tried to recode into different variables I got a whole column with nothing but a decimal point.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm guessing I must be missing some step along the way. I tried googling tutorials but I'm following the instructions on the ones I can find and still nothing.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Still don't know what I was doing wrong earlier. But I started over in a new sheet and somehow it worked :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

(spss) pasw 18 question [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone understand how to do univariate and multiple regressions? I need Help!

SPSS, Statistics tests help [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am analysing some results and am very new at this thing. I have grown bacteria on different agar mediums from samples before and after washing hands. I am looking at colonies of bacteria and if the number of colonies change before and after washing hands. Increase or decrease is possible. ...

Statistics -spss [ 2 Answers ]

Like to know the following questions comes under which type of measurment(ordinal,nominal,ratio and interval)? a) Liking school(label)- 1) like a lot,2) like a bit,3) not verymuch,4) not at all(values) - ? b)Truancy of students(label)- 1)0days 2) 1day 3) 2days 4) 3days 5) 4 days or...

SPSS Stats/Question [ 2 Answers ]

What statistcal tool do I use in SPSS to correlate grades from a test (expressed as a percent) with a letter grade from another class? Thanks, Allie

View more questions Search