Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deepcoldwater Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 11:07 PM
    Found Circuit Court (Cook County, IL) Summons for Child Support
    Last Friday (Nov 7th, 2011) I found a court Summons hanging on my post box as I walked in my apartment entrance.
    It's titled "In the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois Domestic Relations Division" by the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services, ex rel.

I am the respondent for this case and am summoned to require to file and answer in this case and appear in Room 200, 28 N. Clark St. Chicago on or before Nov 1st, 2011.

My wife left with my daughter unannounced to California and though I offered to help with finances she refused and now I am faced with this Summons. I feel this quite unfair about this and without getting into details of why I feel unfairness, I need your help in helping me navigate through this horrible predicament. I don't have much time but I need to learn, do research, know my rights, and check legitimacy/legality of this action.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2011, 04:03 AM
    Fairly simple, your wife left and is filing for court ordered support. That's her right. You need to prepare your financial information to show to the court so support can be determined.

You could, of course counter file for custody and visitation.
    deepcoldwater Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 06:24 PM
    If a man left his partner taking his child with him and moves to Hawaii and is unemployed, would he have the right to force his partner to pay child support? It would seem awful convenient to demand money while it also appears to provide little accountability against such one-sided action.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deepcoldwater View Post
    If a man left his partner taking his child with him and moves to Hawaii ...
    You first said your wife went to California, now you ask about a man taking a child to Hawaii.

Which is it? Or is the idea that a "wife" is a female spouse now obsolete?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2011, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deepcoldwater View Post
    would he have the right to force his partner to pay child support?
    Force is not the right word here. Applying the law is the concept. If the non custodial parent is working and the custodial parent isn't, the law provides for support. The NCP can apply for custody. The fact that the custodial parent took off without prospects will be considered.

But you need to put aside your anger and start thinking about what's best for YOUR child. Because that's what the courts are charged with doing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 07:45 PM
    It is not if the man or the women has the custody of the child, it is WHO has them, if the man has the custody yes the wife pays support,

The issue is when she left, you could have filed in court to force her to bring the kids back, but you did nothing,

When she left, you could have filed for visitation and had child support set, but you did nothing,

So yes, it is perfectly right and fair for her to file and get child support

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

King county court how to respond to summons? [ 0 Answers ]

What form do I use to respond to a court in king county Washington summons being sued for back dues on a time share

Whitman county court summons sent to wrong address [ 1 Answers ]

My 21 year old daughter arrived to live with me in palouse from seattle, she wrote poetry in washable ink in the girls bath at park, police soon arrived and she was questioned. She coperated and admitted she wrote on the wall she was told by the officer that she was banned from the park rest of...

Received a court summons In Pasco County FL [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to Florida in march of 2007. It took a lot longer then expected to find a job and we had to live off my credit cards. It has been a rough time since. Falling behind on all credit cards and I eventually forgot about them and never paid. Just recently things have steadied and now have a...

What do I include in a Summons response to a county court? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are divorcing. I would like to know how to write and what to include in a response to the summons. It is my understanding that if the letter does not conform to the Chapter 8 Wisconsin Statutes, my response could be dismissed, or something to that effect. I want to do this right,...

View more questions Search