Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CallMeFriday Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 07:57 PM
    Wife Caught Sexting... Can We Fix This?
    My wife and I both have outgoing personalities. I never have a problem going into a room where I don't know a soul, and coming out with several new friends. I [tastefully] compliment others on their appearance, I may extend a conversation a few extra minutes, or treat a coworker to a special surprise if asked to pick them up something for lunch (for example, I was stepping out for an errand at work, and planned on stopping for lunch on the way back. I asked everyone at the office if they wanted me to pick them up something as well... I had four people respond yes, all female. As a nice gesture, I bought each of them a chocolate brownie as a dessert. It was appreciated by all.)

My wife, on the other hand, seems to have a different idea of what is tasteful. A few months ago she tells me she was in a conversation with a coworker and the conversation had some sexual overtones. She told me she said something that made him blush, and that was the end of it. She said they have been flirting off and on for a while, and it made her feel deisreable and sexy. I thought that was strange she would offer that sort of a story. A few days later, she tells me she again engaged in a conversation with this same coworker, and at some point he suggested they meet at a hotel for alone time. She told me she said, no, and because I knnow what she does for a living, can believe that she didn't take him up on it. I first questioned her on how a conversation goes from zero (innocent flirting) to 100mph (lets get a room). She couldn't answer. I asked what she said that made him think he could suggest that. She couldn't remember. I told her I was concerned that he was prowling, and could be mad if this happened again, thinking that because the conversation was going, he had a shot of getting inside her. I discussed my belief that anything sexually suggestive or explicit isn't appropriate for anyone to talk about unless they had genuine interest in the other person, and it was wrong for married folks to talk that like with others they are not married to. Could be a fine line for me to say that because I admit to some tasteful flirting, but never do my flirts contain sexually graphic content, or suggestions to meet up at a hotel.

She tells me a few days later that she talked to him and he was "cool" with it, saying he wouldn't get mad. She also told me that he said "who would we hurt if we did [go to a hotel]?" She went on to tell me how he had a twisted sense of what was right/wrong. I told her to stay away, that even thou he said he wouldn't get mad if she turned him down, I was still concerned he would do something to harm her.

A few weeks later, I plug in her phone to charge overnight, and I see she has 2 unread text messages. I have NEVER been on to snoop, but something told me to read what was pending. 2 inocuous texts from friends. But...there were 30 texts in her list from this guy at work. These were not conversations done face to face, these were text messages sent/received between the two of them. He tells her he wishes she would just take him up on his offer to stay in a hotel for some alone time. He tells her things like "I thought about you this morning." and she responds with "you should be thinking about where my tattoo is at." He tells her she is sexy, smart, hot, beautiful, and most of a f--king tease. He tells her he thinks about her often. Her response is "I think about you too much, I may end up going to hell." He again affirms his invite to spend time in a hotel, and she responds with "too bad you are not on call this weekend [my husband] is going out of town."

Now, the texts get more and more graphic from him, telling her he has a picture "in his head" of her laying on a bed, in sexy panties and no top. He asks her to invite him over one night when [her husband] is out of town and the kids can spend the night with grandparents, so he can see it in person for himself. Instead of turning him away, she tells him "I'm going to [be out of town for a few days], do you want to come?" His response was "you know I do, I wish your invite were serious." And she finishes with "me too."

Theres lots more, like, while getting a ride in his "fancy" car from her office to the employee parking lot, tells him she was thinking about holding his hand, and he is so hot she has to keep her hands to herself. How she wants to be able to be in his car and not want to be naked, how I have been the only man to be intimate with her and how she needs time to think about what is right for her and this other dude. She tells him on more than one occasion she thinks about him, that he makes her feel special, and asks if she makes him feel special.

All of this is very suspect to me. When I asked her if he knew she was going out of town, she lied, saying he knows nothing. When I asked if he knew I was going out of town, she lied saying he knows nothing. When I asked if she thought about him a lot, she claims she doesn't. After a heated, sexually charged, text conversation between her and this guy, I tell her I can read all of her texts and knew the truth. When I asked why she lied, she tells me that she was afraid I was going to hit her. We've been married 14yrs, have been together for 22yrs, and I have never...NEVER...N E V E are been violent. When we were discussing this, when I asked these questions, I never moved off the seat cushion on the sofa. Yes, I raised my voice, yes I raised my hands in animation, but NEVER made a fist, NEVER made a threatening gesture towards her, never yelled (our three kids were asleep upstairs, open doors, and with an open floorplan could hear everything.

When I asked a few days later why lie, she told me she didn't want to hurt me.

We are on month 2 of trying to sort through this. We have an appointment with a marriage and family counselor tomorrow (finally). She has answered a few questions with specific answers. However, my specific questions are met with a blanket answer, questions like "how can someone pick up a phone and text "I thought about you this weekend" to another person without any feeling, and without any prompt from that person, yet tell me there's not thought, no feelings, not from the heart. She's told this guys he's hot, has expressed jealousy for his other girlfriends because they "get to do 'stuff' with [him]". Sometimes she answers my questions with a question. Like, do you think I think about him? Um, yeah...because you tell him five times in three days you thought about him, you think about him, and how he makes you feel special. Hello?

I have prepared myself (I think) to hear things like "I have a crush on him," or "I felt like I was falling for him," or "I wondered what it would be like to be with another man," or something along those lines.

As odd as it sounds, I am still madly in love with this woman. I have told her repeatedly, I have no plans to leave or end our relationship over this. I would rather her tell me the truth, crush me if that's what would happen, but in doing so, we'd work together to build US back up as a strounger unit so we can understand how it got this way and what I/we need to do to help minimize the possibility it won't happen again. I feel hurt, betrayed, and slighted. I feel like she can't trust me enough to share our innermost thoughts and feelings.

Anyway, I'm sorry for being verbose in this post. Any comments are appreciated.

Counseling tomorrow, first visit. Wish us luck.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 12, 2011, 02:37 PM
    You are a lot more forgiving than I would be. Even though both of them seem to understand nothing can happen between then, I think she has betrayed your trust by letting this evolve as far as it has.

It’s great you are trying to get over this… but I have to wonder what she’s been doing to get over this… Is she still talking to the guy? Has she taken any action at all?

And what do you mean by ”… because I know what she does for a living, can believe that she didn't take him up…”? What does she do and why is it so surprising?
    vhrjon Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2011, 06:44 PM
    Im a woman and I know what she is looking for, a twist in her day and his interested is that.

But she needs to know that she is he sending him A lot of mixed signals and as well doing wrong to you.

I suport that you want to work this with her.
    CallMeFriday Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 08:22 PM
    Philly, she is a nurse and works at a hospital, can't leave during the workday. He is an MD. As far as I can tell, the sexting has occurred either when she was working... or when she was traveling and he was still in town.

We've had some progress. She says she just needed "validation" and attention from another man made her feel desirable. For the record, I compliment her frequently, I notice haircuts... no matter how subtle... I note changes in appearance and compliment. She says that I am "obligated" to say things like that. Whatever...

Content of his texts rivaled that of many cheese-ball romance novels. He would tell her what he wanted to do, she would respond that she was wet and throbbing,nhe would tell her hen had an erection... and so on.

She claims that there was no feeling in her texts, no thought, no love. But, she tells him things like "I think about you too much, I may end up going to hell", "I thought about you this weekend", "you make me feel special," and "I need some time to figure out what is right for me and you.". She claims all this was a game, but refuses to explain anything further than it was stupid.

I have a "sit down" with the virtual boyfriend tomorrow morning. He's concerned I am going to tell his wife. He needs to be less concerned with me telling her, and her finding out when the hospital revokes his privileges after they read my complaint.

As weird as this sounds, I think we can work this out... so long as nothing physical happened, andnthere are no lingering feelings for him.

Thoughts?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 14, 2011, 08:37 PM
    She's admitted "it was stupid" and I'm not sure what else are you expecting her to say.

Again - What's she doing about the situation? What is she doing to address the trust in your relationship. It's what a person does, not what they say, that tells you their true intentions.

Your "sit down" with the "virtual boyfriend" might have made you feel powerful over the situation, but it cannot address why your wife felt the need to engage in this "game" to begin with. If she doesn't address that, there's bound to be another "virtual boyfriend" down the road.
    DavidB66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 27, 2011, 09:45 AM
    First... Figure out what emotional need you do not fill for her... She is wrong in her actions, but there is something missing in her life... This will probably continue till u figure it out... Eventually she will separate from u... Better man up and fix this one quick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught my wife sexting... What to do next? [ 17 Answers ]

I caught my wife sexting with a friend of ours. I have had some suspicions that something was happening for about 2 months now. On Saturday I checked my wife's phone and found sexually explicit texts between her and a friend of ours. I confronted her about it and she did not deny it. She says...

Caught sexting what to do [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there first time poster and I was kind of looking for some advise. I am leaving with the army in about one month and I recently caught my wife sexting with someone I called my best friend.she swears up and down that it was a huge mistake and if she could take it back she would. But now I can't...

Caught my wife sexting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about sexting, I caught my wife and have found out it has been going on for 5 months, when I found the equipment, a cell phone booster and her cell phone I wasn't sure what it was, I caught her off guard. She wouldn't tell me at that time what it was. So after two weeks I...

I caught my boyfriend sexting [ 10 Answers ]

I caught my boyfriend sexting some chick and am very confused on how sexting works. There were explicit things said, like "i really liked doing _____" and "did you like it when I ____" It made it sound like it really happened. He says that it was just a fantasy thing and that nothing ever...

Caught in a sexting problem [ 19 Answers ]

Two years ago I was dating a guy who I used send nude pictures of myself to through my cell phone. And as EMBARRASSING and shameful as it is to admit, we even made a few sex tapes. Now, trust me I know that I was so STUPID doing all of this. If I could I would take it all back because I had no...

View more questions Search