Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mstrunk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Payne PG9M furnace makes noise rumble shakes can't find the source of it.
    Well I have looked and looked but can't seem to put my finger on it. It's obviously a noise, best description I can give is I was in the basement and I thought a helecopter or train was going by the house. Nope, it was the furnace. So it's a low rumble vibration from the furnace. Here's the details.

Furnace = Payne PG9M installed 2005, this is our second winter with it.
    Weather = It finally got really cold outside, problem started at -6F.
    Poweroff/on results
    1. The main blower turns on fine - nothing abnormal and airflow through the vents good.
    Since I was down there looking I changed the filter anyway.
    2. Main blower shuts off and the inducer starts up fine. Again no problems here.
    3. Flame comes on and that is when it'll start to happen,which is before main blower even kicks in, so I know it's not that.

Now I though it might be something with just how cold it got outside trying to heat up that air but it was doing it once and I shutoff the furnace. Then upon turning it back on it didn't do it. Shutoff again, turned on and it did.

I was going to call a repair man to come out and check this morning but of course it wasn't doing it, currently it's -13F.

In conclusion both motors seem to be fine. Is there a possibility the heat exchanger is loose and will intermittently get is a state to vibrate. Or could it actually be a problem with the burners, almost like a misfire condition. Any thoughts. Thanks, Mike
    mstrunk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Well I have gotten closer. If I look at the flame closer when it's happening it seems to be quite orange. So I tried closing the main gas valve about half way and it stopped. Now I'm searching up the possibility of a bad valve someplace. Comments are welcome.
    bice310 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 11:13 PM

I have the same problem, except mine does it every time it comes on, and I think gets worse when the heat comes on. We're on a crawlspace so it rattles that whole side of the house.

It seems like it started when I tried cleaning out the blower. I also replaced the filter and taped down the sides so it sealed better. I don't know what the problem is, but I'd sure like to.

Sorry this is no help in answering your question.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrunk View Post
    Well I have looked and looked but can't seem to put my finger on it. It's obviously a noise, best description I can give is I was in the basement and I thought a helecopter or train was going by the house. Nope, it was the furnace. So it's a low rumble vibration from the furnace. Here's the details.

Furnace = Payne PG9M installed 2005, this is our second winter with it.
    Weather = It finally got really cold outside, problem started at -6F.
    Poweroff/on results
    1. The main blower turns on fine - nothing abnormal and airflow through the vents good.
    Since I was down there looking I changed the filter anyway.
    2. Main blower shuts off and the inducer starts up fine. Again no problems here.
    3. Flame comes on and that is when it'll start to happen,which is before main blower even kicks in, so I know it's not that.

Now I though it might be something with just how cold it got outside trying to heat up that air but it was doing it once and I shutoff the furnace. Then upon turning it back on it didn't do it. Shutoff again, turned on and it did.

I was going to call a repair man to come out and check this morning but of course it wasn't doing it, currently it's -13F.

In conclusion both motors seem to be fine. Is there a possiblity the heat exchanger is loose and will intermittently get is a state to vibrate. Or could it actually be a problem with the burners, almost like a misfire condidtion. Any thoughts. Thanks, Mike

What is your fuel source Natural gas/propane/oil ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water line makes Knocking noise [ 3 Answers ]

Every time one of our toilets if flushed, the water line makes a knocking noise.  It never use to do that until we replaced the flapper and flushing valve.  Does anyone know what this might be?  It's very loud! ::)

New Bryant furnace makes a rumbling noise [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a new Bryant 2 Stage furnace last year and it now makes a rumbling / vibration noise when the furnace kicks into the second stage. It seems like it does this when the furnace gets a lot of use. For instance, Today it turned on once or twice and no rumbling/vibration noise. However,...

GE Washer makes loud noise [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older GE washer (about 5-7 years old) that has started making a loud, dry metallic grinding sound when running. I had to replace the clutch about 4 years ago and recently the clip that holds it in place came loose and I had to snap it back in place. The washer worked fine for a few...

Furnace makes poping noise [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace makes a popping noise when it shuts off. I tried changing the filter but it still makes the noise. Why is it doing this and how much will it cost to have it fixed?

Combustion Air Blower makes noise. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 4 and 1/2 year old ComfortMaker furnace. The combustion air blower started making a rumbling noise while starting and stopping and continues to vibrate while running. I had a heating & cooling service look at it. $65 just to show up. Without taking anything apart he said...

View more questions Search