Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paigiecakes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
    How do you get around child support
    I'm 4.5 months pregnant and the father is my ex-boyfriend who has said that he wants to be there for the kid. So great- but I really do not want to deal with going to court, child support payments, and custody etc.. I don't think the state should have any control over our decisions regarding responsibility. So how do I get around all that? I can afford a kid alone and I know ill have his help too I just don't want it to be mandatory and punishable if he doesn't.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2011, 09:32 AM
    What if the father changes his mind in six months when he finds a girlfriend and then gets her pregnant and maybe decides to marry her and move to another state? Or what if you are in a car accident or get a disabling condition and can't work any longer?
    paigiecakes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 09:38 AM
    Yeah bad things can happen, and I'm not asking if it's a good idea to not file for child support. I'm asking what has to happen so that he is not ordered to pay child support. The decision has been made, the question remains: what do I have to do to go about it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 10, 2011, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paigiecakes View Post
    ... I just don't want it to be mandatory and punishable if he doesn't.
    It isn't.

Before the state will interfere, and force him to pay CS, you will have to ask it to do so. Either that, or apply for welfare.

But 6 months, six years, or 15 years from now; and everything isn't the way you expected it to happen, don't come back here and say we didn't tell you.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2011, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paigiecakes View Post
    I'm 4.5 months pregnant and the father is my ex-boyfriend who has said that he wants to be there for the kid. So great- but I really do not want to deal with going to court, child support payments, and custody etc.. I don't think the state should have any control over our decisions regarding responsibility. So how do I get around all that? I can afford a kid alone and I know ill have his help too I just don't want it to be mandatory and punishable if he doesn't.
    The state will be very unhappy with you if you don't file for child support. If you happen to have to go on welfare (for instance) they will still go after the child's father for child support. Why shouldn't he contribute to a child that he helped make? It is his legal obligation to pay child support. If you don't want it, then take it and put it into a savings account for the child to use later on in their life for say their education or to buy a car when they turn 18. You are essentially making the decision for your child when your child has no say in the matter and you are the person who has the fiduciary obligation for the child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2011, 05:49 PM
    You basically do nothing, you don't put him on the birth certificate, don't ask for custody, don't ask for visits.

He does nothing, he does not ask for visits or any rights with the child. He has to completely trust you to allow him access to the child. And you have to trust him completely to return the child on days or weeks he has the child.

He can of course go to court without your permission any time he wants to get more rights if he feels you are not allowing him proper visits.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2011, 07:37 PM
    As the others have noted, the courts will only get involved if you file a petition on court. The one exception to this is if you apply for public assistance of any kind. The state will then require that you identify the father so they can be reimbursed.

Doing things through the courts protects you, the father and the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support, I have other kids I pay child support for? [ 2 Answers ]

I have another child outside my first three, will NEW YORK take my other child into consideration when ordering me to pay for my first three.

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

I owe back child support, will child support garnish the whole tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

Will child support garnish the whole tax return?

Can my sons father get out of child support, or back child support? [ 2 Answers ]

The paternity was established for my son at 6 months of age.. will the father have to pay the past 6 months?

Can a father of a child force child support on a mother that gave up the child willing [ 13 Answers ]

While my wife and I were split up she got pregnant ( while on the birth control implant). I myself am fixed ( we didn't want anymore kids) and we couldn't afford to have more kids if wanted them. We thought about giving the child up for adoption but it turns out the father wants the child. He...

View more questions Search